young drivers in powerfull cars at night..

bobsp16

Site Supporter
this tragedy happend last saturday night(4th)near where i live,going back on about 21 year olds and under not being allowed to drive at night and driving powerful cars.
20-Picture%20409.jpg

9-Picture%20411.jpg

always a shame when u see things like this and my heart goes out to the family.........but this still doest justify young people not bein allowed to own powerful cars and driving them at night this couldve just as easy have been a middle aged man or woman on their way home in a ford mondeo but everyone will assume the young girl in the lambo or the young guy in the fiesta was speeding its just a stereo typical view of what most people perceive to be boyracers ................hands up all u boyracers who own a lambo

It's always sad to see accidents like this......reminds me of when my cousion died in a car accident.....oh i'm all sad now after remembering that.

Nasty, :( Alot of my friends drive more at late night... And they have had a fair few accidents between them.

Whilst i would like to iterate my sypathy to everyone involved (and their families) in the above mentioned newspaper article....i would like to draw your attention to lines 4+5 ("Lamborghini sports car she was driving") and then to the beginning of the 4th paragraph ("Charlotte, who worked at Westfield Farm Day Nursery")!!?

Am i missing something...should i have skipped uni and started working for the local toddler sitting group?

"leaves husband of one year Michael (32)" who was probably loaded. So Batch, just marry an older rich man, and you will be sorted...

I'm on it lol, just going to take a change of sexual preference....shouldn't be too difficult. Most women are unneccesarily awkward anyway (sorry to generalise :) )

But i think there'in lies the problem, if everyone bought there own first car then they'd be more inclined to drive it safely rather than smash it up and waste their money. Same with parents buying their kids an £8G clio for their 18th.....you just know it's gonna be on the back of a wagon in 3 months.

I'd say Michael is just as much to blame handing the keys to a 400bhp monster to a 21 year old...just asking for trouble to be fair.

Still sympathetic though.

it is very sad but now there is a roomer floating about that she probly shouldn't have been driveing it because of the insurance say that nobody under the age of 25 can drive a sportscar like this....

That is a real shame!

As for young drivers and powerful cars, I think there's a stereotype here, shouldn't we be on about in-experienced drivers?
If there is a statistic of more deaths/accidents with in-experienced drivers in larger cars then there should be a maximum litre they can drive until maybe 2-3 years experience.

Back to the accident, whoever handed her the keys is partly to blame as a car like that demands complete respect.

Then again these are assumptions using the stereotypes, for all we know she's got 100 hours track experience in that car (if you owned one you would be using at a track day) and she simply had bad luck!

lol, maybe the Fiesta was trying to race.

my personal opinion is that for the first few years after passing your test you should only be allowed to drive a 1.3 or under (low insurance bracket). Im sure pretty much everyone in here has done this with owning a micra and it hasn't done us any harm. Some people need to learn to wait and not get everything now now now.

did you not read about an 18-20 year old who owned a GTR R34 (£7000 Insurance) Son of a lottery winner.....he wrote it off a couple of weeks if no days later.

nothings impossible if you have a bit of cash.

Carnage is possible with any car.. From micra to lambo, you could cause as many fatalities, injuries, damage to properety etc etc with either.

Insurance companies stop people getting certain cars until they are 25, but in this case as you can see, that didnt stop this unfortunate girl getting behind the wheel. Also, she didnt collide with a fast powerful car either, it was a low power fiesta, so as above, it doesnt matter what you drive, damage can still be done.

Arnold, carnage applies more to supercars!!. It does have more effect what car they drive, coz of the extra power. Flat out in a micra is easy to control, and correcting a mistake like a swerve will b easier. Flat out in a Lambo, well, that says it all, and i wouldn't want to b out of control in one of those!!

It's a shame about the girl and i feel for her family, but unfortunately, it takes stuff like this to make people realise.

What actually caused the accident anyway?

Arnold, carnage applies more to supercars!!. It does have more effect what car they drive, coz of the extra power. Flat out in a micra is easy to control, and correcting a mistake like a swerve will b easier. Flat out in a Lambo, well, that says it all, and i wouldn't want to b out of control in one of those!!

High spec performance cars etc should have the necessary stuff onboard, like traction control etc to keep the car on the road like it should be! The suspension and handling would also be alot better to keep the car under control. A micra etc has none of this and would probably just spin, bounce around, roll over etc and cause chaos, and its quite easy im sure to roll one of these over! I spun my k10 at 20mph in the wet, just because i braked too hard on a bend - didnt take power or anything for that to happen

Yes, but if you had been in a Lambo you probably wouldn't have been doing 20mph!
All the technology in the wordl can't defeat physics, if you're going to fast (much more likely in a powerful car) then you will crash regardless of all the safety stuff.

Yes, but if you had been in a Lambo you probably wouldn't have been doing 20mph!

I would have been personally. Just because your in a better car, doesnt mean you can drive less responsibly or carefully! Its like saying i'l drive a performance car 60mph in a 30 cos its a performance car!

Everybody is different.. i guess others would drive more carelessly if they had more power to play with.

i tend to think people drive ridiculously fast because they want to show off.....ever seen people drive stupidly fast in exotic cars? i havent.

except the lambo girl above i suppose.

This is what i have heard now is that she pulled out from a side road infront of the lad in the fiesta because all the damage is on the lamdo's driver side..

i also no someone that has been in a car like this and he told me that if from a standing start you boot it and try and spin off quick the trackion control cuts in and nearly stall the engine.

so if this was the case were she tried to get out of the way quickly and the car just wouldn't let her,,,,,,,,,shame isn't it

Have only been in a couple of sports cars but what struck me was the appalling visibility and that they seemed to be designed for someone 6 foot+ (I'm 5'4"). May be a bigger factor in some accidents than the power of the car.

I dont get this whole young drivers in fast cars mullarky...I started driving a 2ltr Pug206 GTi when i was 18, I had the money to buy it and i could afford to run it etc so now people think in future if the law does come in, that they can stop me buying a car i want, love and can afford. I worked for my car, in which case had the money for it, so im careful with it. Its my pride and joy, and pretty much the only thing I have to show for my 3 yrs in training to do the job im doing now. So not all young people drive carelessly when they are behid the wheel of a powerful car, yeah i toss it around a bit but I know what i can handle, and what the ca can handle so id ont see the problem really. If you can afford it, do what you wanna do.

I don't think its fair to blame the fast car for a fatal accident.

In this case we don't really know the situation and what Bob suggests is sort of speculation.

I find it really worrying that things like ABS arnt now a legal requirement... why not??

Its not like its that expensive to implement these days, but it will make all cars more controllable under heavy braking. Sure, in some cars you can turn it off... but all cars should have it available.

Again speculation, but I bet the lad locked up before hitting her.

Why do you all think it was her to blame, The 17 year old in a banged out fiesta could have been much more recklace. You know how alot of people drive when they have just passed their test. Yet you always blame the person in the performance car. Yeah she was young but she could have quite easily have had 4 years driving experience possibly with no claims- most companies wont touch young people, especially with claims under their belt! Yet because she's young and has an expensive performance car she gets frowned upon. If I was her husband, and had any doubt that she would be writing off my lambo, i certainly would have her on my insurance.

Why do you all think it was her to blame,

I dont know if that question is directed at me?

If it is;

Because if what bob says is true, she pulled out in front of someone... regardless of the car, conditions etc. Its her fault!

OK If he was driving too fast then he might get in trouble for it too, but wether your in a ford or a ferrari you have to give way at some junctions.

Dont get me wrong, im not blaming her; im saying that its not necessarily the car to blame; we dont know!

I dont know if that question is directed at me?

If it is;

Because if what bob says is true, she pulled out in front of someone... regardless of the car, conditions etc. Its her fault!

OK If he was driving too fast then he might get in trouble for it too, but wether your in a ford or a ferrari you have to give way at some junctions.

Dont get me wrong, im not blaming her; im saying that its not necessarily the car to blame; we dont know!

Ok i must have missed bobs post stating she pulled out infront of him. Yet why is there all this debate about young drivers driving performance cars. When it sounds like it was a stupid mistake of pulling out of a junction? Sounds like it has nothing to do with the car, just the person perhaps overlooking the other car.

Ok i must have missed bobs post stating she pulled out infront of him. Yet why is there all this debate about young drivers driving performance cars. When it sounds like it was a stupid mistake of pulling out of a junction? Sounds like it has nothing to do with the car, just the person perhaps overlooking the other car.

I think bobs post was speculation, we dont know the cause for sure...

The thread was to highlight the danger of putting young people in powerful cars (at night... apparently), which I tend to think is a bit silly.

I would have been personally. Just because your in a better car, doesnt mean you can drive less responsibly or carefully! Its like saying i'l drive a performance car 60mph in a 30 cos its a performance car!

Everybody is different.. i guess others would drive more carelessly if they had more power to play with.

Until you have been there then you can't really say though, I drive a powerful car and am inclined to take more risks with pulling out, overtaking etc as I know htat I can get away with it (and I also feel like I am in the safest place to be anyway), also more expensive cars have a much smoother ride so 20mph in a Micra will feel the same as maybe 30+ in a more powerful car so you have to pay more attention to how you are driving, or you can find yourself going down a quiet road at night a lot faster than you should be.

From the pictures, it does appear that the Lambo was hit from the side, and to do that amount of damage, and also by the looks of it to knock it off the road and onto the grass verge, the guy in the Fiesta must have been going at a fair old speed - that is the type of person who restricted ownership would be targetted at, it is not about forcing the 'good' drivers to drive slower cars, it is about trying to make the fools slow down. If somebody I knew was hit by another motorist, I know that i would much rather them be driving a low-powered car as opposed to something capable of much higher speed. The aim of proposed legislation like that is to protect the general public and the fools from the dangerous actions of the fools, it's all about reducing the overall risk.

I think she obv thought she had enough time to pull out quickly, but as someone said above, the car won't allow it. Surely u would have had to seriously floored it for the car to not perform?!!

At the end of the day we don't know who was in the wrong, it could have been both of them. She's lost her life and the lad is no doubt shaken like hell. So i think it's safe to say everyone involved has learned their lesson.

The way I see it, is that some people no matter how old or young will be unsafe drivers.

Any car can be dangerous, no matter what the power or engine size. Restricting power may be a good idea in some cases. I know for sure that I've had a lot of years experience behind the wheel (comming up to 12 years), but it doesn't make me think I know everything about driving and how cars handle in all conditions. After a driving course I had to do at work, I found out a lot of stuff wasn't too bad before but am way better now, but I'd class myself as an ok driver and not a good one. How many people whould say the same though?

With regards to the accident does anyone know what the visability was like on the night, the weather conditions and state of the road surface? These can all play their part without the driver being necessarily at fault.

i think for cars that powerful there should be an advanced driving test of some sort, even id be scared of that cars power, chris my mr2 scared me when i got it and i still drive it with respect cos i know its got a lot of arse it wants to spin about!

tradegy tho!

Back