Yom's Car Care Guide

cisco

» CMF Member
Hey guess what.

All of the black plastic exterior things on blue monster were looking a bit tired and grey/dull etc.

I checked out all the different vinyl/plastic stuff available. Best bang for your buck and still from a good brand was "So EASY Protectant": $8.

Amazing stuff. Honestly. They all look shiny black now, way better than armorall rubbish. Then a few days later I washed the car. The water beaded on where the protectant was. Then when the car dried, all the protectant'd bits were still dark black. It has like left them permanently darker and looking heavily refreshed. Highly recommend this stuff. I used to use armorall, this is in another league.

Now I did the whole car, all the door and window seals, the rubber around the blinkers, and edge of the sunroof, the big black louvre thing behind the bonnet. Yay. Oh and the arial mount.

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
Funny you should say this cisco! I just went out a got a can of black spray paint for exterior plastics. Check out the pic. Its $20 a can, but only needs a sand and spray. Its basically a black plastic primer but designed for exterior plastic aswell. Im going to spray the wheel protector/guards next to my wheels because they look quite shocking. First is a good clean and light sand then a good coat of this wonderful stuff.

Attachments

• 15399.jpg
    15399.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 27

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Lower it and you dont have those issues anymore. :p

Haha I do the used car dodgey with wheel arches - I give them a quick wash with the car jacked up and i get that Car underbody paint which is quite lumpy and kind of like a sound deadener. It comes in a can and a spraycan. I usually grab a spraycan and give the arches a quick sprayover. Makes them nice and black again.

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
Sounds fancy :D

Ideally, those arches should have a teflon coating or soemthing so the dirt just falls off :( Tho i guess it would get chipped easy... I wonder how much spray on teflon is...

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
Ok, im so impressed with this. Heres a before and after shot of the plastic inner guards. How HOT is that sprayed one!!!
*drool*

Its still a little glossy looking as the paint is still wet :D I was just so excited when it went on. I highly recommend doing this. VERY easy to get them off. A Phillips head screwdriver and just turn your wheels to make room to get the screwdriver in there. Im finishing and putting them back on tomorrow!!! *Joy*

Attachments

• 15431.jpg
    15431.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 28

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
2 hours
1 can of Bumper-Trim spray paint
1 can of de-greaser
1 sheet of 400 grit sand paper

= Hot wheels!

Cant really see the inner arches, but theyre a solid satin black. VERY factory looking! Very cheap cleaning/modding job. Now whenever i clean my car, ill just have to wipe down the inner arches with some Mr Muscle or Bam!

I de-greased and very lightly wet sanded the insides of the rims too go get that original paint back. They WERE a thick dark brown from the brakes but now a healthy light grey :)

<3 it.

Attachments

• 15476.jpg
    15476.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 33

cisco

» CMF Member
Massively well done on that inner guard thing mate!

I'll definately have to copy you and do the same sometime soon. Mine are pretty faded too.

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
Ha. :D

Next up for this paint style is the black plastic window run off. Im guessing its going to need a heat resistant black bumper paint with a satin finish. Hmm. After than the exterior will be very very shmick. :)

Back