[GUIDE] How to change your mileage

Is this a good guide?

• Total voters

Love_Whiskey

Super S Restorer
Okay so this is my first thread on the forum - if you thin it's in the wrong section feel free to move it. Go easy on me, though.

[DISCLAIMER] I'm not responsible for any damage you cause to your units, and you should also be advised that it is illegal and dishonest to alter the mileage for any reason other than clock change or repair.

Recently I bought some SR clocks with Rev Counter for my Super S and wanted to make the mileage the same as my old ones for continuity's sake on the MOT report. This guide will tell you what you'll need and how to do it.

Firstly, let's assume clock unit is removed from the car. If you are removing it, it would be wise to label any connections that you may have removed.

You will need:
Small-ish screwdriver (Ideally flat)
Strong pliers
Tape - preferably something not too sticky - I used electrical tape.
Tweezers - Not essential but good for fiddly bits.
IMG_1822.JPG

Okay, so unclip the clear plastic lens over the cluster, place to one side. Do the same for the black inner shroud under it, like this:

IMG_1819.JPG

Flip the unit over, and the rear of the speedo has four screws, these all need to be undone. Then the speedo unit should drop straight out of the front.
Screws to undo:
IMG_1820-2.jpg

Speedo Withdrawn:
IMG_1806.JPG

So with your Speedo withdrawn, turn your attention to the rear of the unit. You should see a small pin on top of the mileage number reels, with five white cogs locking them in place. You need to prize the metal that clamps the pin apart, using your screwdriver. If you open one end completely, and one just so the pin can slide in and out this is beneficial. The following is a photo of the pin/cogs/clamps.
IMG_1807-2.jpg

Withdraw the pin completely, and you can now turn your number reels to the desired figure. Important things to note at this point are that you need to view the numbers as you turn them - friction between drums makes this difficult to do with fingers (Especially if yours are fat like mine) I found it easiest to view squarely from the front and poke the numbers round with the screwdriver. Once at your desired number, place tape across the number drums at the back. Not too high up though, because you need to put the locking cogs back on. Some pictures of these tasks follow.
IMG_1816.JPG

Now take a look at the locking pin and it's cogs. You will notice each cog is the same, but they have two kinds of teeth. One is wide, the next half as wide, and so on in that alternating pattern. When you have set your numbers and secured them down with tape, you need to ensure that the tooth pointing upwards when replaced onto the speedo is a half-width I.E> The most upright tooth on that cog is half-width, and that all cogs are aligned the same way. Keep checking your numbers are square and neat as you ensure each cog engages properly. This is fiddly and everything likes to move.
IMG_1812.JPG

IMG_1809.JPG

Once you think you have it back in place, hold the pin down with your fingers, and ensure that your numbers are straight and correct, and that they cannot move. Once you are satisfied, simply re-clamp the pin using your pliers to pinch the metal back onto it.

The finished article at the rear:
IMG_1813.JPG

Best of luck, please tell me what you think of my first guide and post :)

Kind Regards,
Eddie.

Okay so this is my first thread on the forum - if you thin it's in the wrong section feel free to move it. Go easy on me, though.

[DISCLAIMER] I'm not responsible for any damage you cause to your units, and you should also be advised that it is illegal and dishonest to alter the mileage for any reason other than clock change or repair.

Recently I bought some SR clocks with Rev Counter for my Super S and wanted to make the mileage the same as my old ones for continuity's sake on the MOT report. This guide will tell you what you'll need and how to do it.

Firstly, let's assume clock unit is removed from the car. If you are removing it, it would be wise to label any connections that you may have removed.

You will need:
Small-ish screwdriver (Ideally flat)
Strong pliers
Tape - preferably something not too sticky - I used electrical tape.
Tweezers - Not essential but good for fiddly bits.View attachment 32648

Okay, so unclip the clear plastic lens over the cluster, place to one side. Do the same for the black inner shroud under it, like this:

View attachment 32649
Flip the unit over, and the rear of the speedo has four screws, these all need to be undone. Then the speedo unit should drop straight out of the front.
Screws to undo:
View attachment 32650
Speedo Withdrawn:
View attachment 32651
So with your Speedo withdrawn, turn your attention to the rear of the unit. You should see a small pin on top of the mileage number reels, with five white cogs locking them in place. You need to prize the metal that clamps the pin apart, using your screwdriver. If you open one end completely, and one just so the pin can slide in and out this is beneficial. The following is a photo of the pin/cogs/clamps.
View attachment 32652

Withdraw the pin completely, and you can now turn your number reels to the desired figure. Important things to note at this point are that you need to view the numbers as you turn them - friction between drums makes this difficult to do with fingers (Especially if yours are fat like mine) I found it easiest to view squarely from the front and poke the numbers round with the screwdriver. Once at your desired number, place tape across the number drums at the back. Not too high up though, because you need to put the locking cogs back on. Some pictures of these tasks follow.View attachment 32653
Now take a look at the locking pin and it's cogs. You will notice each cog is the same, but they have two kinds of teeth. One is wide, the next half as wide, and so on in that alternating pattern. When you have set your numbers and secured them down with tape, you need to ensure that the tooth pointing upwards when replaced onto the speedo is a half-width I.E> The most upright tooth on that cog is half-width, and that all cogs are aligned the same way. Keep checking your numbers are square and neat as you ensure each cog engages properly. This is fiddly and everything likes to move.
View attachment 32654
View attachment 32655

Once you think you have it back in place, hold the pin down with your fingers, and ensure that your numbers are straight and correct, and that they cannot move. Once you are satisfied, simply re-clamp the pin using your pliers to pinch the metal back onto it.

The finished article at the rear:
View attachment 32656

Best of luck, please tell me what you think of my first guide and post :)

Kind Regards,
Eddie.

Hi Eddie, say you were swapping standard clocks for super s clocks, at the point where you take the speedo out, couldn't you just swap the two speedos over?

Back