XP reinstalling automation

goldstar0011

Ex. Club Member
Every few months I like to reinstall XP on all my computers and basically an PC I tend to look after, I know exactly how I like it set up and do the same each time.

Is there anyway to create an install DVD that when completed has it setup how I want it rather than having to install each program and doing all the customising each time?

Am sure computer technicians do something like this for computers they maintain.

Just use ghost or something to do a backup when it's all set up and activated with all the programs you need and after you've got all the latest patches installed.

less than 30 mins to do, have an external usb Hard disk and backup onto that.

I believe there's a bootCD which has backup software on, I think it's called hirens boot cd. if not then you can buy ghost almost anywhere.

all you have to do is put the cd in, select restore and it's all done.

Goast wouldnt be suitable, because the whole idea of the reinstall i imagine is to speed things up a little. Goast will just take a complete image of whats there, and dump it back exactly how it is now, not improving anything.

If you get backup software, Vertias backup exec (now symantec), you can do a ASR backup. When you boot windows install disk, you get an option to press F6 or something to launch an automated system recovery. Do that, the important stuff gets stuck back on really quickly & easily, and you'l be left with just minor configuration afterwards

You may have to use a tape drive though, not sure if its DVD compatible

sys prep is windows xp own brand re packaging software and is what we use at work , you can even program it to just pop in a disk and set it up itself with all your settings , its located on the windows disk in a cab file , just google sysprep im sure theres a guide somewhere .

hope this helps

Mike

Use something like nLite to make a nice clean install exactly as you want. Install the software, drivers and other applications you need. Then ghost it for use next time round. Nice and easy.

Back