Wtb turbo kit

CMF_Danvillan

» CMF Member
You're best bet if your looking for a straight bolt on system is a HKS turbo setup, look on Yahoo Auction Japan use google chrome as it has a japanese to english translation. If you find one then use import monster to import it. I saw one on there a couple of weeks ago for less than $300 then you're probably looking about that again to get it over here.

Chuckles is selling a turbo manifold and turbo on here for $1000 https://micra.org.uk/cmf/message/82915 , but the turbo is chinese copy.

If you check out my current turbo build https://micra.org.uk/cmf/message/82211 ,you can see how to build a turbo manifold for under $100 (if you have welding skills) or probably $400 if you have to pay for the welds. Look on ebay people are selling T25 turbos cheap all time as they are usually upgrading from Silva, 180SX, etc.

I paid $300 for a garret T25, front mount intercooler, piping and silicon joiners off ebay.

Let me tell you right now the costs will blow out big time, you need to get a ECU probably $500 (secondhand), engineer cert ($800 - $1000), Brake upgrade ($200), Bigger injectors and fuel rail to suit ($200+), Upgraded fuel pump and Reg ($200), Turbo back Exhaust ($1000), Tuning ($700+), plus much more that I've forgotten.

I'm trying to do mine on the cheap but once completed it's still going to owe me at least $8000-$9000, thats doing majority of the conversion myself.

So as I stated above if you can get a HKS system I believe you can run it on low boost and retain the standard ECU, etc (I'm not 100% about that) but it does not have an intercooler. It won't give you crazy power but definitely a big improvement over stock, I heard they are really zippy, they run a small turbo and run on boost a lot of the time. It will be your cheapest option to turbo your Micra.

The picture is of a HKS system or similar.

CMF_RTK

» CMF Member
Don't use Inport Monster! Biggest rip offs when comes to postage! And gees someone needs to do a little more research, you only need to spend about 2-3k on a basic conversion, the one done there by Kovert.k11 only set him back a few thousand, I know all my kit I have (intercooler, t25g turbo, starlet manifold(needs modding) and dump pipe with add on to a 2inch system) only set me back so far $800, laws/legalizing thing is states maybe different, I know here in QLD a mod plate for a turbo conversion only like $100, you can run a basic set up 4-5psi for very cheap with out using an A/M ECU, just a A/F meter, a good tuner can tune off that, I worked out with tune and mod plate would set me about no more the $2000

My kit for sale by the way, selling the car also

CMF_Tyrie

» CMF Member
Hey RTK interested in how your tuner tunes the standard ecu? Or are yiu just talking about bumping up fuel pressure?

Generally I agree with danvillan on the prices to do it properly. My k11 running 7-10psi was by no means fast, would have been pretty disappointing at 5psi.

If you want to avoid the engineering costs just buy my engineered micra shell and bolt your turbo motor into that :p

CMF_RTK

» CMF Member
You need use FPR anyways! and they **** around with the dizzy, until you reach a nice A/F ratio on boost, but the car is for sale so I am not turboing my Micra anymore

CMF_Danvillan

» CMF Member
RTK- import monster make there money from importing so do you expect them to be sending things at cost price? Help the guy out if you know a better way to import something from Japan please let us know. As for researching a turbo conversion I'm doing it right now and my wallet is bleeding cash, if you want to do a ghetto turbo conversion you probably do it for $3000 but my point is and you probably would have found out if you ever did the conversion, is that cost blows out, something you think will cost $2000 will easily end up doubling.

For example your $800 setup, the manifold would need to be modified as it will probably foul the radiator or supports and the dump pipe will need mods because its the wrong shape to clear the sump, this is all cash and it adds up quickly.

Like I said the HKS system is a straight bolt on which you could get for under $1000 plus the exhaust so yeah you can do it for $2000 or so but don't expect a rocket.

Eddie- my advise is if your going to do it do it properly and expect to fork out some cash, if you do it half assed with stock ECU don't be surprised if you get engine failure. You can add an intercooler and ECU to the HKS system but if you going to start to do things like that your best building your own setup from the ground up which = cash$$$$.

CMF_Majiga

» CMF Member
yeah just look at my build i started getting everything made from scratch one off's for my micra and it's headed over 20 grand to make a beast out of a cg13de with a tomei arms turbo. And thats just the engine.

CMF_RTK

» CMF Member
Jesse Streeter is a few dollars cheaper, and I have been quoted $100-150 for have it cut and welded a new flange to fit, and I sat down and worked it out before starting to get the parts and what not, and cause no more then $2-3000 and its not that ghetto unlike Franks hahah

CMF_Danvillan

» CMF Member
I don't think you're understanding my point. It's all good and well to have a turbo build on paper but when you actually try to pull it off you will soon realise that it cost a lot more than you expect (that's the point I was trying to make). I don't think anyone here who has done a conversion or attempted it will disagree with this statement.

CMF_Danvillan

» CMF Member
I'm interested to hear from the guys who have actually completed a turbo conversion. Throw out some $$$$ figure on how much it cost to do the conversion. I doubt there will be many under $3000................anyone?

CMF_Danvillan

» CMF Member
True. Hence why I suggested the HKS system as the cheapest option but as you can see it was only stage 1 and running lean above 5500rpm. So $2-3000 to that stage and that thread further proves may point as once done, kovert starts to talk about bigger turbo and injector/ fuel rail etc which = $$$$$$.

So if you think it's a better idea to build a cheap turbo setup that runs lean on low boost go right ahead. Personally I think if your gonna spend the money on a turbo conversion your best spending the extra $$$ to
1. Get extra power/torque.
2. Make sure engine doesn't go BANG (and I believe this is the route kovert would have gone if he continued)

Obviously we have different opinions on the issue so we will have to agree to disagree.

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
RTK WROTE:

its not that ghetto unlike Franks hahah

just proves that it can be done tho eh mickel ;)
and go for it eddie, these engines can be bulletproof, just make sure you run a turbo sparkmap, you only have to see how much timing has to be pulled (from 100kpa/no boost, to 200kpa/1bar of boost) on the average turbo map to see why these engines DET the pistons and blow headgaskets when running the stock sparkmap.
i blew a few lol, even with loads of dizzy retard.
the fueling is,nt a problem really, my donnington park dyno run recorded sub 10:1 a/f/r,s throughout with just a ghetto rising rate reg, and i,ve yet to see a melted CG piston from leanout, but have have seen many many DET,d ringlands and blown H/G,s from the combustion chamber pressure spike you get from DET

Back