WTB: Carbon/Fibre Glass Bonnet

CMF_sikK11

» CMF Member
Hahahahaha that's funny. LOW try make one and see how you go. It's is hard and not only that is has to conform to the laws in this country. If it doesnt then insurance won't cover you defects all round. Dave there is a company in Australia that
Make them and are the only 100% legal option in Aus. Failing that there is some
On import monster but shipping wi be a killer. Think they are around the 699 mark but double that including shipping I reckon.

CMF_mycra

» CMF Member
sikK11 WROTE:

"Hahahahaha that's funny. LOW try make one and see how you go. It's is hard and not only that is has to conform to the laws in this country. If it doesnt then insurance won't cover you defects all round. Dave there is a company in Australia that

Make them and are the only 100% legal option in Aus. Failing that there is some

On import monster but shipping wi be a killer. Think they are around the 699 mark but double that including shipping I reckon.

whats the company champ?

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
Just as a reference, the carbon fibre bonnet that's been floating around australia on different micras for years was originally imported by the member '2' that used to frequent these forums. From memory, he said it cost about $1200 landed.

As for making one yourself, there's much better/easier/cheaper and less illegal ways to reduce front-end weight on a micra. If you're doing it for the carbon-fibre look then you can just cover your stock bonnet with film that'll give you a similar look :p

---dens

CMF_mycra

» CMF Member
deNs WROTE:

"Just as a reference, the carbon fibre bonnet that's been floating around australia on different micras for years was originally imported by the member '2' that used to frequent these forums. From memory, he said it cost about $1200 landed.

As for making one yourself, there's much better/easier/cheaper and less illegal ways to reduce front-end weight on a micra. If you're doing it for the carbon-fibre look then you can just cover your stock bonnet with film that'll give you a similar look :p

---dens

nop want weight loss not fake carbon :p i was going for odyssey battery but after seeing the warranty book scared me lol and other gel or optima weighs same as a ns40...

anywhere to get it in Australia would be great though :)

CMF_mycra

» CMF Member
LowMicra WROTE:

"kovert.k11 WROTE:

"aluminum bonnet would be good - trying to suss something like that out myself"</div>

That would be okay not as light as CF but still lighter then standard

I guess you would have a mate can whip up some tin cans and BAM awesome bonnet.. "can't be that hard" hey Low..

CMF_Greo

» CMF Member
The body kit doesn't come under the same rules as the bonnet.
Which is why you don't need adr approved front/rear bars or skirts.

You could always remove some of the webbing under the bonnet.
My mates ae86 that he imported had only the outer most frame that was still strong a bit of extra flex though.
Neither him or my brother picked up on it (both apprentice mechanics) until i saw that it was missing the webbing.
Passed all compliance and its roady without a mention from anyone.

So maybe an angle grinder and a rattle can of body colour paint could save some weight.

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
deNs WROTE:

there's much better/easier/cheaper and less illegal ways to reduce front-end weight on a micra. If you're doing it for the carbon-fibre look then you can just cover your stock bonnet with film that'll give you a similar look :p

---dens

+1 you,ll only save a couple of kilo,s, far easier/cheaper to shed some weight from your seats for example (stock frame is 10kgs, my alloy copy one is 2 kgs)

Attachments

• 64421.jpg
    64421.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 25

CMF_jcmicra

» CMF Member
ahhh ndxxx your lucky! i ran into a RBT and first go i meet up with a cop that knows his **** :( oh and the brand is "BLITS" not "BLITZ" lol but doubt they make it for k11...also the carbon bonnet that "2" bought is ndxxx's one ;D

also agree with deNs and frank2 about the better/easier/cheaper and less illegal ways to reduce front-end weight on a micra :D

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
mycra WROTE:

"nice work frank you welded alloy yourself?!?

it was tig,d at the place i got the offcuts from mycra :)
here,s my bonnet with the stiffeners removed and expanding foam filled (then a black felt was fitted)
it did,nt save much weight, but it gave me access to some dents on the front (from when the car was written off)

Attachments

• 64465.jpg
    64465.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 21
Back