Wiring question

I have decided to add a subwoofer to my car, however i only have speakers in the doors (no 6x9's) does that matter?

Also, i have a unbranded headunit which came with the car, i looked at the back of it however it looks different to other headunits i have seen, i have attached a few pics. Would it still be possible to add a sub?

071807200958mq4.jpg

071807201010ip2.jpg

Yes easy,
The 2 RCA's (the red and white things on bits of wire) go to the amp. And the remote is connected to the wire that is coded: Power Antenna.
If you need any more help just ask.

Although those RCA's look like a CD changer in (when you look at the DIN plug) so maybe you need to upgrade your head unit. If you aren't looking to spend too much I have a cheapo Panasonic one which I might sell.

If your head unit doesnt have a remote wire, then connect it to the switched live / accessory live cable for the head unit. I did that on Ems's and it works fine :)

The RCA connectors as shown should be fine, but what does the label say that's connected to the cable?

Any ideas what Sub your after? We can then give you pointers on the amp to purchase.

If your head unit doesnt have a remote wire, then connect it to the switched live / accessory live cable for the head unit. I did that on Ems's and it works fine :)

Any ideas what Sub your after? We can then give you pointers on the amp to purchase.

You can see on the sticker bit in the 1st pic it says 'power antenna' this is the same as a remote.

Thanks for your reply.

My mate is thinking of getting rid of his headunit, so might grab his however message me with the model no/pics and price and i'll let you know :D

How would i go about wiring it up tidily, am i going to have to take off the carpet? Its a k11 1998 1.0 micra

Yeah i saw that after studying it and deleted my post! Power antenna i guess is the remote signal for electric aerials right? I can't see why it would be called that otherwise :)

Yeah it is a remote, they just call it that cause people were gettin confused about where to connect their uppy/ downy Aeriel.

Im from Leicester.

So i connect the remote wire to the aerial wire? thats never been connected, it just hangs out lol

Maybe it'll all click together once i pull it out again and have another look

Do you want me to draw a dodgy wiring diagram?
Have you ever wired an amp before? do you have an amp and a wiring kit?

I aint wired it up before, but breifly saw one being done, looked sort of simple.

Would be great if you could draw a diagram!

Im most likely going to get a Mosfet 480w amp, 240x2ch, some guy around here selling it

Nice one for the diagram! easy to follow ;)

Im checking ebay for a cheap sub, so basically i COULD buy a 1000w sub, however it would only pump 480w as i only have a 480w amp, right?

Sorry about all these questions lol

A sub should be about 50 watts lower than what the amp is otherwise you get sound distortion. If you run a 1000w sub with a 480w amp it'd sound rough as a badgers a***.
I have a 250w amp and a 200w 10 inch sub atm, sounds nice.

Make sure the rca's (red/white pair) are preouts and not aux-in's.

A sub should be about 50 watts lower than what the amp is otherwise you get sound distortion. If you run a 1000w sub with a 480w amp it'd sound rough as a badgers a***.
I have a 250w amp and a 200w 10 inch sub atm, sounds nice.

Wrong

I always thought the general rule was to have the sub being able to handle more power than the amp? Thus reducing the possibility of destroying it?

A higher power sub would create clipping of the amp when you drive it hard.

Oh and Retepetsir if I'm so wrong correct me instead of just sayin I'm wrong.

You want a higher output sub than the RMS power of the amp, not the total power of the amp.

For example, my Alpine type r pushes out 1500W peak power, the amp pushes out 550w @ 4 ohm, but 1800w peak power.

I was trying to avoid confusing him with the difference between RMS and peak, but yeah that is right.
With head units apparently it's impossible to have an RMS output of more than 45w per channel, so these 4x50w claims are only peak.

Although it really doesn't matter, bass in a car is so rough and distorted anyway, my dad has a 1000w sub and a 400w amp and it sounds fine. If it were possible to have perfect bass in a car matching a sub would be important.

Got a friend that has a head unit that puts out 4x60w fwn

Either way, they won't use the full capacity - mine's 4x50w but probably only puts out about 30/35

Because of the ampage and voltage limitations and ohms law or sommat Anything above 45w x 4 channels would blow the fuse.

I think these 40/50w head units actually only kick out about 15W RMS.

I dont know why people refer to peak figures when it's the RMS ones that are important

It's to make them look big. Like 'check out my 3 kilowatt subwoofer'.
It's a status thing, RMS got forgotten by the big manufacturers.

A higher power sub would create clipping of the amp when you drive it hard.

Oh and Retepetsir if I'm so wrong correct me instead of just sayin I'm wrong.

It's not the sub that would create clipping, it's the amp that would be driven into distortion and clipping when you push it too hard and it can't provide good clean voltage any longer, speakers don't like square-style waves, they like nicely rounded tops/bottoms! Driving the amp too hard for long enough can either overheat and kill the sub voice coils or kill the amp, or both.

You can run a subwoofer with a higher rms rating than the amp thats driving it fine, you just need to set the gains properly so that the amp isnt driven to produce a dirty signal at any point. You can also quite easily run a lower power sub off of a higher power amp (as you say), quite a bit higher actually, again as long as you are careful in setting the gains. This way is best (overpowering) as you then have headroom in terms of the amps power, often producing music with better dynamics, etc.

My sub is rated at 300wrms but is quite happily being fed nearly 1kwrms without any problems.

You actually want a higher RMS amp than sub, not the other way around. Ignore the peak power/max power/pmpo ratings as they mean naff all.

Something like a 300-400wrms amp (at 4ohms for example) would be fine on a 200-300wrms 4ohm subwoofer if setup correctly.

Bass in a car should not be rough and distorted! Build your own box, build a ported box and tune it to the bass extension that you want along with the size of enclosure, etc (try WinISD via Google, its free). If you are a bit more adventurous try an infinite baffle setup (IB), passive radiator or similar. Experiment, make it sounds better, just have fun :)

No headunit reaches even 4x45w. Again that's peak power. Actual rms is nearer to 15-20wrms....hardly earth shattering.

The big manufacturers (well, decent ones) still quote rms figures, you just have to look for them in the specs (Alpine, Pioneer, US Amps, Vibe, Genesis, DLS etc all do).

:)

OK I was wrong.
I have been building enclosures for some years now, I just sold one which was roughly based on a vibe enclosure, the port was tuned to 32Hz and was sweet. Sadly it wouldn't fit in the micra boot so it had to go.

I pulled it out again and had a better look. the blue wire (it said power) which went to the connector, but from the other side of the connector the wire was not connected to anything...

And the two RCA's u can see in the pic say RCA Rear on them (little sticker stuck on them)

I looked at the diagram thingy stuck on the system, and it says the grey and some other wires are for rear, which are there but i dont have any rear speakers... how would i be able to connect up some rear speakers?

look under the carpet in the boot on the left hand corner of the boot ( wheel arch area stuck in a hole) should be a connector cut that off and wire in the speakers.

make sure that the connector isnt connected to anything as it would be stupid to cut a conected thing :p

hope this helps a bit.

jackassuk

Iv finally got my sub and amp, so wanted to check that the RCA's which say RCA rear will be ok for me to connect my rca cables to for the sub?

thanks

Ok i had a go with my sub + amps, the guy i got it off said it's bridged (2x 12inch subs, 2amps + 6x9's - but im not fitting the 6x9's yet)

He's left the wires in the amps connected.

Im completely lost! heres a little diagram i drew (off the top of my head, im sure iv missed out some wires from the amps)

subdiagrameh6.jpg

Also the power wire, on the end which connects to the battery has no connecter thing (bit of metal with a hole in it).. all it is is a wire, as though the end bit has been cut off, what do i do to make it work? just strip a bit of the plastic off and then connect it to the terminal on the battery using the bolt thats already on the battery?

Any ideas?

For the battery connection you need to buy a large ring terminal, they are cheap.
The remote needs to go to both amps and the black things need to go to the car body, you have one on each amp.

Got those sorted, however the left subwoofer is more powerful than the right one... more sound from the left for some reason, i cant seem to figure it out.

I checked behind the carpet on the right hand side of my boot, i found a 4pin connecter, is that what i need to connect to my 6x9's? if so what would connect to the 4pin connector?

Thanks a lot guys, help is appreciated,

Back