Winter / all weather tyres

Hi
I have a K12 54 reg micra. I need to fit in winter / all weather tyres. The current size is 175/65/15, I've been told by one dealer that 185/60/15 would work and would be easier to obtain.
1. Any comments on the tyre size.
2. Where can I obtain partly worn tyres as I am unemployed and on a budget and need to drive to Germany every month to see my kid. I live in West Molesey, KT8 area (Close To Hampton Court / Kingston upon Thames)

Thanks

Narrower tyres will be better in the snow, however if the 185's work out cheaper and easier to source I'd have no issues in fitting them on my car.

I bought two sets of tyres recently at STS Tyre pros in Hemel. New ones - I wouldn't ever trust part-worns, you just don't know the history of them, and why would someone give up a set of good tyres?

The 175/65 15s for my K12 were £76 each (Continental TS810 Sport), and the 185/60 15s for the Yaris were £70 each (Dunlop Winter Response) so not a HUGE difference, and both were in stock at STS, just had to wait til the next day to get them to my local branch.

As 1275 says, narrow tyres carve up the snow better and allow better control especially of steering. I wouldn't wanna put a tyre 10cm too wide for the wheel personally, but some people do without issues as far as I know.

Back