Cold Weather Tyres

I'm getting a set of Continental Cold Weather Tyres today, 175/65R15s. The plan is to use them on my stock steelies, then in Spring I'll get new alloys with some nice Summer tyres, then I can just change wheels every year instead of paying to change tyres.

I just wondered what other people's experience is with winter tyres - as in what extra performance can I expect with them?

I tend to drive nice and slow in the snow anyway, doing everything early to avoid/minimise loss of control, but my general thought is it's the other idiots that cause problems, and better tyres will help me avoid them. Getting them on the girlfriend's new Yaris too, as this is her first winter driving.

Survived 10 winters without special equipment, but the difference this year is I live on a hill, and work is 12 miles and about 7 hills away, and I'm expected to go in even if I have to walk. Also, my nan lives down the lanes, and if it snows like last year she'll be isolated for at least 2 weeks as no-one can get there.

Hugh

Winter Tyres are great for the colder weather, you'll notice a slight difference in grip when it warms up again.
But from 7degress C down they offer a lot more grip. You'll probably find them noisier than your summer tyres.

Thanks for the input - I just had them put on, took 20 mins as they had 3 guys and 2 balancing machines going free at the time! Possibly the best £300 I've spent in some time. They are noisy though, kinda like running mountain bike tyres on the road. Definite improvement in grip too, although it's only 13 degrees now, but the road was wet.

A lot of that improvement might also be going from a set of Marshall (who are they!?) with just legal grip, to brand new Continentals.

I had a lot of trouble getting winter tyres, no-one had 175/60R15s in stock in any of their national warehouses.

Had to get 175/65R15s in the end - not a huge difference, will look better once I have the lower springs on later this week, and also it's reduced the under-reading of the speedo :)

Stani1029

Club Member
I believe that will. Theres a really steep hill in dundee which i took the lexus up passing cars as they were stuck. After doing this twice the hill was closed lol i was going round all the steepest hills and never once did it struggle including stopping on the steepest part. Handbrake on then taking off again. They truely amazed me :wow:

Ian

Ex. Club Member
It's not yourself you need to worry about in the snow, its all the people who have no idea how to drive in the snow safely.

It's not yourself you need to worry about in the snow, its all the people who have no idea how to drive in the snow safely.

I said that in my OP :p It's so true - all year round.

I live near the magic roundabout in Hemel... people have no concept of give way to the right, or not blocking the whole roundabout just to claim your priority. Nightmare, but only cos of the people.

I said that in my OP :p It's so true - all year round.

I live near the magic roundabout in Hemel... people have no concept of give way to the right, or not blocking the whole roundabout just to claim your priority. Nightmare, but only cos of the people.

My K10 is from Hemel, I do like the SnowCentre in Hemel! Normally ride there every friday :)

The magic roundabout at the bottom of the hill with 3 or 4 mini roundabouts rocks!