windscreen hero required

Dudes!

I am shuffling windscreens aroound and have discovered something unexpexted:

on a 'hardened/toughened/heat-treated' screen I have found a gummy/sticky foam strip that is fited to the outside surface of the screen all the way around the edge.....this strip must be for improving / ensuring a seal between the thick rubber trim / frame that the screen is housed in and the front face of the glass.

there is no such equivelent strip in the inside sufaceof the glass ...nor is there one on the chassis frame on either side......there is no strip on the inside of te rubber feame anywhere else either........

Question 1: is this 'strip' an environmental seal (or wind & water)....or an acoustic damper?? (I think it is for keeping wind & water out personally)

Question 2 (in case it is just an acoustic damper........) can this be omitted for the more modern laminated screens?

Question 3 If I need / want this strip on my new screen...where can I get it from (other than main dealer)

Cheers all

Rich

rich

i think you will need a bead of screen sealer on the glass an the flange (to ensure it,s watertight)

cheers guys

much appreciated (& quick too!)

nissanmicrak12: yes please if it doesnt put you out of your way that would be ace!

My prefered solution will ultimately be a one that can easily be removed again if needs be.

I had to take out a screen or two a few months back on my cars...two of them were very easy....(and were otherwise well sealed from water).. the other had some sealant on it in some parts (nolt all the way around). this screen was also well sealed, but ws a BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB to get out intact...the metalwork and the rubber frame and my diposition suffered badly to get it out......lol

Having said that... this sealant was bonding betwen the rubber and the metal...(not the rubber and the glass as you sugest) so you might have a good tip there too

cheers

the car is a 1985 K10 (oringinal screen is toughened < complete with brewsters' fringes> :-()...but Im fitting a tinted laminated screen...(the laminated screens became available around (1992 ish) and the toughened were eventually superceeded (not sure when though)

Frank:
sounds perfect that....do you know where I can pick this stuff up from? roughly how much?

Attachments

• PICT0044.JPG
    PICT0044.JPG
    764.2 KB · Views: 311
UPDATE: more windscreen stuff

OK so there are 2 parts being reffered to here...

ths sponge foam sticky strip (the seal) and the rubber frame

Nissan main dealer dont recognise the 'seal' part on their parts assembly and sugest that the rubber frame may be superceeded by a design with an integral 'seal' as part of the rubber frame.....

Incidently anyone after a new replacement frame from nissan is looking at a whacking £107... and a 1 month backorder for starters..HAHAH

The toughened glass screens have been superseded by laminated versions and are available as clear or tint (VERY LIGHT TINT)...these are around £140 for both..the tinted is about 10 to 15 quid extra....

So, after phoning a few windscreen companies...each stated that if they were making this replacement...they would fit a bare glass (no seal on it) directly into a clean rubber frame....(a dry seal)...and they did not expect this to leek!!!....and if it did then they would apply a non setting mastic sealant between the frame and the glass on the outside while everything was fitted in situ.!!.......interesting

(interesting and questionable that is...) Because.

I ve suffered a cracked screen that appeared from 'nowhere' just in front of the steering wheel going downwards towards the lower edge. On disassembly of this screen it was clear that the sticky seal was no longer sticky, or a 'seal' anymore... EXACTLY where the crack came from....also this seal was just as dry in both of the bottom corners where the popular corrosion patches appear. ->>> I wonder which caused the other (chicken & egg?)

one thing is for sure in my case it was the corrosion on the lower edge flaking and swelling that caused my screen to crack

heres some photos of the sticky seal (dry and not a seal in some places...along with the said crack and corrosion

the swelling corrosion also made a good job of splitting through the rubber frame too.....perfect for water to get through and linger around in..

Attachments

• 000_0405.jpg
    000_0405.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 237
  • 000_0407.jpg
    000_0407.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 191
  • 000_0406.jpg
    000_0406.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 204
  • 000_0412.jpg
    000_0412.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 200
  • 000_0415.jpg
    000_0415.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 198
726100 - 01B00 = Weatherstrip/Rubber Seal
Year:82 - on

No mention of a of an integral design in my 1988 Book....mmm.....how strange o_O

There should be some Beading around the edge of the Weatherstrip but not where the Glass slots into as this should be tight enough to keep the water out.

nice one...mate

was there an illustration in the book?

do you see that part number as being the 'seal' as I described it and shown in my first picie....or do you see that as being what I described as being the 'frame'...as shown in my 5th pic?

During the week, I think I'll make another call with your part number and ask for price and availability..(to see if it matches the £107 and 1 month backorder) or if they describe something new….

I wondered about another possibility:

There has only ever been the rubber frame….but when a clean piece of glass it fitted it sticks to a strip of some sort that is part of new rubber frames…then after several years, if the glass is removed, the sticky strip has retained a better bond to the glass surface than the rubber frame and so the sticky strip ends up staying with the glass rather than with the frame (thus; creating the deception that there should be another part)…technically there wouldn’t have to be a mention of an insert if it was part of the frame assembly

The plot thickens

Proof of pudding is in tasting

as a temporaty measure I have had two screens fitted into secondhand rubber frames...one of which is a brand screen into a good condition second use frame...

after this weeks rubbish rain and wind, I can conclude that both screens are pouring water in...and Im confident that the fit is otherwise good..

therefore I would say that some form of 'seal' IS NEEDED in addition to a second hand frame....

the question of what comprises a new frame remains unanswered for now....

I finally got some pics closse up of the "non-existant" factory seal/strip...it has a mesh (for strength and practical application ...and is VERY sticky & gooey

In the end the only sealant I could lay my hands on was IDL (pale cream in colour) used on caravans & boats...doesnt harden...since applying this on liberally under the outside glass to rubber there's NO ingress :)

heres the pics of teh original factory fitted non-existant" seal

Attachments

• 100_4823.jpg
    100_4823.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 216
  • 100_4824.jpg
    100_4824.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 221
  • 100_4825.jpg
    100_4825.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 232
Back