Window Film - HELP

Hi, I need help I have bought the Soft-ray SOLAR CONTROL Window film which is used fro making the to side windows into safety glass but because of the thickness of this stuff and the double curvature of the glass I have four elongated bubbles that wont go. I am onto my second sheet after ripping off the first. Any tips before I take a scalpel to the bubbles.

Just to let you know the method I have used:

Cleaned the glass perfectly
cut film to approx size
sprayed slightly soapy water to the glass and lightly on sticky side of film once the protective film was removed.
Placed film onto glass and sprayed top and then used rubber squeegy and worked from the center outwards.
HELP PLEASE

Thanks for that, I did think of heat but wasn't sure how it will work because upvc plastic expands in heat, but cling film shrinks maybe because of a melting reaction !

When you apply it, you should do it bit by bit with an old credit card wrapped in cloth to squeeze air out as you go. It's a right pain in the ass to remove bubbles, but if you can't sqeeze them out don't worry.... I've got a fair few and you don't notice it when your driving :)

Thanks, but these i must admit are not your normal bubble size they are more creases than bubbles as in about 3" x 1" because of the curve of they glass in both directions. Heat has helped but need to do the next one with a better technique.

I have only found tinted film on youtube (which is a lot thinner) or safety film on a flat surface. I will try tomorrow with a hair dryer in hand to warm the material as it is applied rather than warm it up afterwards once the crease's appear. It is like putting grease proof paper in a bowl there are gping to be obvious creasing because the film is going to form overlaps in each of it's corners, so warming these parts will hopefully reduce the excess.

Heat makes it more pliable. Apply gentle heat and continue as before
Though removing the glass is your only option for a perfect result

Thanks for all the advice on the window film everyone, the hairdryer technique worked. After applying the film with the glass out the car on my kitchen table again creases appeared in four area's even if I tried heat while applying, but after pushing all the water out, then applying heat to the problem areas using the plastic spatula and soft cloth working it a few times with reasonable pressure the bubbles flattened out.

Thanks again

Sorry when I said quarter lights I meant rear glass quarters. It's the carpenter in me since we call house window glass openings - lights!

Back