The 1.2 Lump

Courior

Fat ppl r harder 2 kidnap
I am checkin Ebay to see how much my old K10 is worth and came across a 1.2 for sale... i had a look at pics to see condition (to compare prices) and the motor looks very different from my 1.2 SS.. The ebay car is a GS 1.2 and it looks to have none of the extra tubing and such like mine has? it looks like a 1.0 engine but the sticker on the back says 1.2!

So my Q is this.. does the SS have a "sporty" version of the 1.2 lump, what is the difference between a GS 1.2 and an SS 1.2 engine??

Thanks!!!!!!!!

No, yours has a load of emissions control gubbins in it which most people claim saps a bit of the power from the engine. It doesn't need to be in there as all K10s get the old fashioned MOT test :)

I've heard the emissions crap reduces 6 bhp from the 1.2 but i have no proof of this. It was only fitted to K reg 1.2 micras, which includes all super s models

no there fore the egr exhaust gas recirculation, the ss also has 2 cats on it, 1 in the manifold and 1 futher down in the middle.

my tip of the day is remove the front cat and gouge out all of the insides with a screwdriver like i did, its easy to do takes about 2 mins and will remove the restriction of the cat... then refit it to see the differance it has made.

LOL.. I will have a go at that if i get everything else fixed.. once shes rust free and on the road i will start to mod it :)

the Ecc ma12's sometimes have a totally different head i.e. bigger ports. i know this to be true as i have an ma12 head with the larger ports in my garage. there is a guide in the guides section on how to remove the ecc parts and free the power up, but the super s is running 60bhp like all the other ma12's, if the ecc/rgr stuff is removed you'll prob free up about 5bhp. trust me ive done it ;). get the cats removed and the difference in power is quite noticable.

i tested this thoery at several stages when removing these parts against my friends ep92 starlet 1.3

when i got the car it couldnt keep up at all.

i removed the ECC and EGR parts and it managed to just about keep up.

then i removed both cats and replaced the exhaust system with a standard k10 on, and fitted a standard ma12 manifold. once that was done i had no trouble beating my mates starlet.

that was all the proof i needed.

id like to point out i was at no point racing the starlet merely testing the car on a closed road ;)

can anybody post a picture of a k10 engine with the ecc on it?
I have a super s with an ecu under the seat but the carb doesn't look special or anything and I can't find anything on the carb that shouldn't be on any other carb.
please help!

I have a super s with an ecu under the seat.

Never heard of this...

Normall the 'thing' under the seat (silver box aout 10cm x 10cm x 3cm size) is just for opening a solenoid in the carb when electrical load increases (eg with lights or fans on) so that the charge is enriched and so the idle speed increases

The super s has a 'proper' ecu under the seat it has mapped ignition and some fuel controls to the ecu.

I didnt think that was a ECU though! And on the Super S, it's a goldy colour with a black case. Loads more wires going in and out of it

no offence to anyone thats completely removed the ecc system for a standard setup sure you might get 5 bhp freed up but the mpg will be lower than a ecc system this is why ive only removed the restrictive parts of the ecc system namely the egr

Depends what you want though Fordy! You cant really say you want great economy if you go fitting a 4-1 and a large exhaust, as surely that will reduce mpg? 5bhp doesnt sound much but it's still a considerable amount on an already low bhp engine

A good exhaust should increase MPG. The only parts of the ecc system worth binning are the egr and cats, the rest of it is quite useful.

has anyone acctually read my guide? i dont know why i bothered doing it now lol

i removed the EGR system and both cats

everything else ecc related was untouched. i did at one point replace the ecc carb with a webber but i left all the ignition components in place.... thus freeing power and keeping the ecc system intact

read the damn guide people!

-6HP sounds like a bot over the top...more like -1 to -2 HP at a guess...given that a full exhaust can give +3 to +5 back?? and EGR is more like a -ve leak than a +ve restriction

put me right if I'm talking kak...lol

Theres a guide on EGR removal?

It is like a ve leak, but it's feeding hot barely combustable gasses back in to the intake.

Back