Why?

W

wildti

being a k10 owner myself ive often had the feeling to mod the car but why do people spend so much ££ moding a k10 when its always going to be old slow and a nissan "micra" (unless u have a st but thats so rare).

just wondering what the method in the madness is.

Because its different from all of the saxo's/corsa's etc that you see modified and they are surprisingly under rated cars. There was another topic on this a while back which generated some interesting responses. Have a search. :)

i understand the attraction of being different (not fan of saxos corsa either) but why not start on something a bit faster , has a ABS aircon etc as the cost of mods will be very close between say a Almera N16 and a micra k10 , surely its better to spash the cash on the almera and not the micra.

ah but if you got a Almera people could say exactly the same thing, why don't you start with a Silvia etc. Plus its more fun to build up a slow car to go very fast :D

And the fact that many of us on here are young and can't afford or justify paying that sort of money for insurance on a faster car. :)

Not everyone mods there car for performance, so you want a car which will stand out in a crowd, for being different and individual, then the K10 is a winner!

Im sure the almera has alot more off the shelf parts, in both body and performance than the k10, which would make you far less individual just upgrading it with easily obtainable parts.

I agree, starting low and working up is much better than jumping in than further up. Your gonna look at a K10 and be surprised if it flies off etc, whereas an almera etc, you wouldnt be as shocked.

When people hear the figures of the ST then they're amazed, as to them, its just another micra. You wouldnt get that reaction from anything else!

I got my micra because of insurance, every other small car was £300 more to insure. i found a pretty mint condition micra for 300 quid and have done 200 miles in it in the 3 days since i passed my test. ok its slow being a K10 1.0. but it really likes corners.. i think it would flip over before it lost grip! .. its fun and CHEAP. ive made it more comfortable with seat covers (non tacky chav kind). and a nice (better than stock) sound system.. part from that its stock. and its excellent!! micra 4eva!

i got my micra because i was fed up at the time of paying in the region of £70 a week petrol from just pooting about to work and up to the gf's house, thats the main reason, i couldnt drive it in standard form though so it had to get modded, i would love to put a faster powerplant in the micra but i dont think it will happen tbh unless somone gives me a free GA16

id say the main reasons for getting a k10 are

cheapness
low insurance
good mpg
nissan reliability
abundance of cheap parts
easy to service

ohc_turbo said:
id say the main reasons for getting a k10 are

cheapness
low insurance
good mpg
nissan reliability
abundance of cheap parts
easy to service

You'd lose a few of those by putting the GA16 in!!

ohc_turbo said:
the only one id loose is the low insurance

cheapness - The cost to transplant and run wont be cheaper than leaving it as a MA10/MA12
low insurance - No chance
good mpg - In comparison to the MA10/MA12, no way
nissan reliability - questionable! depends who does it

i think youre going too far there, youve got to look at it in the bigger picture

k10 + ga16de

chepness is buying a whole promera for £200 and doing all the work youreself, it would still be cheaper than buying other cars of like a saxo vtr etc. or trying to source a ma10ert or other high priced engines

good mpg - it wont be that far off a ma or a cg tbh, its the way yuo drive it, comparing them to a sr ca or a e or suchlike it will be good mpg

nissan reliability - its still there ;) its going to be as reliable as any other, not putting into a account bodgetastic muckups during the transplant

i agree on the insurance though, dunno how much that would be

Back