Who is using their original ECU with their 1.6 tb?

What ECU do you have?

• 1.6 ECU

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1/1.3 ECU

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Craig

Unofficial Member (Gold)
Club Member
I am, it idles and runs fine but everyone else has changed over to the 1.6 ECU, why is this?
Craig

TBH the whole idea of all of this is a major bodge. I'd love to do some tests on one to see how close or how far out they are from where they should be. Perhaps its a coincidence that it works, but without good checks everyone messing about with this stuff may slowly be causing engine damage by running too lean etc.

Well that was my fear, there is a good deal more air getting into the engine but I am not sure if the 1l can compensate neough as there is less cylinder to fill than the 1.3, but with comparatively larger injectors AFAIK

dosnt it make it rev more? mine revs to 7100 now

and i heard it like higher octain than the 1.3 ecu?

or maybe i dremt both of those ideas :S

I dont know how much the 1.6 TB and 1.0/1.3TB differs in the airflow vs voltage it will sense.
However I do know that if it is different it will go lean as the voltage will be lower for a given flow of air simply due to the fact that the TB is required to flow more air on the 1.6 than the 1.0/1.3. Then to use the 1.6 ECU, with the 1.0/1.3 injectors will again make things go lean since for a given injector duration the 1.0 and 1.3 injectors will flow less.

Really the 1.6 TB 1.6 ECU and 1.6 Injectors should all be used for then the right air flow vs right fuel. But again this is not guaranteed since the engine is totally different, and startup enrichement, idle, cold running etc will all be out as well.

Its really not an elegent solution to all this at all, which is why it surprises me it works in the first place.

That is true Ed, i mean, for a long time I wasn't a huge fan of this mod, but I got a cheap set so thought I would giove it a try, I may even try some runs up Pod with/without the 1.6 tb, if it lasts that long...
Someone should measure the voltage at some point, see what is actually happening as I did some quick maths and worked out that the original throttlebody has 64% of the 1.6 area, but that is prob wrong as I used diameters off the top of my head

Back