who ever has fitted a k11 box to a k10 please reply.

little-ls

Ex. Club Member
today after driving for a week in 1st and 2nd gear of my 4 speed box i put in a pre '98 gearbox which seems to be debated about quiet often so i bought it.
now who ever said it fitted was right but what the hell am i meant to do about the bottom engine/gearbox mount. so far its taken me a whole day trying to fit the box, 4 hours on which i tried to see how i could make it fit. now correct me if im wrong but if it's a 'straight swop' part surely i shouldn't have to do anything to mounting...which if im quite honest has left me pretty ####ed off. there is a whole 2 inch difference protruding meaning the mount will not fit. now could someone please help me overcome my little problem as its my only form on transport to work and back and i need it tomorrow.

thanks! i searched the forum for over 2 hours last night and the only info i could find was yes the k11 box fits. so what else would i need, its mentioned in the 1st link ill need a gear change rod universal joint? whats that all about? and if i get the mount and the gearchange rod universal joint i wont need to mess about with anything else?

there,s pics ect about the linkage/joint on the links mate, and there are other threads on here because i have posted pics of the bracket/rear mount too

ahh thanks, ill have to get to it tomorrow. looks easy enough to swop over but ill have to get to it after work meaning bus tomorrow. :(

one more thing id like to confirm, ive installed a new k10 clutch, will this work fine with the k11 gearbox?
thanks

damn, problems again...
where does the gearbox support go as there is no whole or supporting bracket on the new mount... and where would be the best place to chop the gearbox universal join and flip 90 degrees?
pictures below.

Attachments

• DSC02425.JPG
    DSC02425.JPG
    304.1 KB · Views: 290
  • DSC02423.JPG
    DSC02423.JPG
    276.3 KB · Views: 288
looks like you,ll have to bolt the stayrod to anywhere suitable eh, and cant you knock out the rollpin and swap the ends over ?
attachment.php

odd as it may be my selector shaft if totally different to that, after taking the boot off i couldn't not find and roll pin. im going toward the chop and weld route. unless of course the k11 one fits 'perfectly'?

the support shaft..if i cut and shut the old k10 mount to support the mount, that should in theory work right?

another thing was, after getting the missing mount, the upper most bolt refused to line up which i still cant understand. before i put the 3 bolts in (well 2 fit ) it lines up dead center and as soon as you start putting the bolts in it wavers out. should be strong enough on 2 bolts though i hope.

i wish this whole swap was more efficient, currently its taken about 16 man hours! and its still not done. :down: got to keep trying though, i refuse to sell it even though thats the advice of family members.

here,s the rollpin on my spare k11 g/box (horizontal like the k10 pic eh)
and the top bolt is one of the 4 bolts that hold the engine and g/box together aint it :eek:
attachment.php

Attachments

• PICT0020.JPG
    PICT0020.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 521
ill have to double check tomorrow as it was quite dark once i finished but i honestly couldnt see a roll pin, the whole thing seemed to sit flush. so if i turn this at 90 there should be a predrilled whole there to insert the pin back in? ahh, ill check tomorrow regardless, thanks for your help! any problem ill be back here same time :grinning:

no, you drift the pin out, remove the k11 joint, and fit your k10 joint through the same horizontal hole (hopefully)

right, the knocking out pin idea didn't work. pin popped out fine in the k10 box, was all ready to transfer and then i took the boot off the micra selector on the k11 gearbox only to find it has no pin! instead its been welded from the front. so..chopped the lever instead and tried a 90 degrees change, this left the gearbox in reverse position when in neutral making super hard to select gears! oh, also had the old bracket of the k10 cut and shut to the new k11 one for the support arm. so, got the stick welded straight again, me sitting inside holding it in neutral with trusty aid welding the stick in neutral :grinning: still have a problem, 3rd, 4th, 5th and reverse are ever so close!!! so was justttt wondering if the k11 lever would be a straight swop and select all gears correctly. car currently sits at near ready EXCEPT as i was finishing off the track rod ends refused to nut on and just span! grr so new ones ordered for tommorow early morning, and some pictures of the fruits of my labour should be in order tommorow.

i tried 11 stone of human weight hanging off the bar and still it span! used a gun, breaker bar, socket set, even my own hand:p so thought it best to buy some new ones. originals look a good 20 years old

Back