WHEELS YO!

xABANDONx

Ex. Club Member
i'm going for either a set of 16/17x8 rota grid drifts what kind of offset do i need to avoid rubbing against the arches or suspension?

8j will be too wide for front.
my current setup is 6j et38 (front and back)
can fit 17's easy
imo 7j et35-38 front, rears 8j et35-38 (sorry about staggered fitment, more used to rwd cars lol but u can work it out from there)
this will be pretty much flush with the body.

ps 17" 7j 205/40 tyres are pretty much same size as 15s on 195/50, i think it was, point is my mates 17s 205/40 is same size ish to whats on my car now.
can go 18s if u mad lol, will fill arches real nice with 40 profile tyres, maybe but of tuck too. based on fk's on lowest setting without removing helper springs to get it that little bit lower.

just checked out the fitment list for the grid drifts on rarerims.com, the et on most is perfect, but they are 16x8, maybe space them at the front? get some stretch with 185 rubber and then stagger the back with even wider spacers?

I'm currently running 7.5j rims and you will not get anything bigger under without arch work i've had to roll both sets of arches to fit them and am running arch extensions to keep them legal

J numbers do make a difference..
its all relative.
say for example perfect et and tyre size is et 38 185/40, you not gonna fit that on a 4j wheel (actually prob might fit but will look bad), if you can stretch to fit 10j wheels then the wheel would foul the coilovers and rub too so the turning circle would be like a barge.
you can prob fit 10j wheels on but et would have to be closer to et0 or even negative et.

bit extreme example but you get the point :)

J numbers do make a difference..
its all relative.
say for example perfect et and tyre size is et 38 185/40, you not gonna fit that on a 4j wheel (actually prob might fit but will look bad), if you can stretch to fit 10j wheels then the wheel would foul the coilovers and rub too so the turning circle would be like a barge.
you can prob fit 10j wheels on but et would have to be closer to et0 or even negative et.

bit extreme example but you get the point :)

sure it is relative, but not on its own as you lot were posting here. and again you just made your self look silly by saying "perfect et and tyre size is et 38 185/40" who says its perfect? but where is your J then ? lol you really do make me laugh. and again event 12j can be fitted its about the offset and tyre size.

^ read the whole paragraph.. im sure there was the use of the word 'example'
you contradict youself, say j no is pointless then now u agree its relative.
if you read my 1st post on this thread, it covers width and offset.
anyway, im sure the op has a better idea of what to go for so will leave it as that :)

'J' is related to the wheel lip profile and is the most common designation found on modern alloy wheels.

J = 17.5mm high x 13.0mm wide, with a 9.0mm radius

attachment.php

Ok i have fitted 7.5" rims i have a feeling the ofset is around +38 and have genuine impul arch extensions fitted with 205/40r17 tyres fitted there is no rubbing the tyres are flush with the edge of the arches give or take a few mill but there is just enough clearence to fit these i would not advise going any bigger on the front the rears fitted with the same wheel / tyre combination i doid have some issues with the edge of the tyres catching on the inner lip of the arch however after rolling the arch lip up slightly i have sorted this problem and just need to find some spacers to get them to fit flush 8" rims would possibly fit better however i am unsure on any issues you may get with rubbing but good luck with getting them to fit

okay. 8's will be fine, its just a case of fitting spacers to clear the suspension and innards, and then i'll just stretch the tyres down to make sure they fight under, probably 195's

Back