wheels that are very light

smidge

» CMF Member
so say you wanted to put 185 tyres on some 14 or 15 inch wheels that were REAAAAALY light

but not going to fall apart

are steelies light? are uber expensive japanese rims the only option?

discuss...

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
smidge WROTE:

"so say you wanted to put 185 tyres on some 14 or 15 inch wheels that were REAAAAALY light

but not going to fall apart

are steelies light? are uber expensive japanese rims the only option?

discuss...

Steelies.. steel.. light? I think not :p Picking up a cheap set of lightweight wheels from yahoo jp are a good option, and one made a lot easier if you don't have a desire for crazy offset/widths.

---dens

mik

» CMF Member
maybe we should get a list with some wheel size around 7x15 and the weight of it, to compare a bit. like that

BRAND - NAME - SIZE - WEIGHT

I'll start:

ATS - DTC SUPERLIGHT - 7x15 - 7.7KG
OZ - Ultraleggera - 7x15 - 4.99KG
OZ - Crono HT - 7x15 - 6.17KG

mik

» CMF Member
added some to the list, i got a weight of a steel rim which is

STEEL RIM
Kronprinz - Steel Rim - 5x13 - 5.89KG

ALLOY RIM
5Zigen - FN01R-C - 6.3KG
ATS - DTC SUPERLIGHT - 7x15 - 7.7KG
Enkei - RPF1 - 7x15 - 4.49KG
OZ - Ultraleggera - 7x15 - 4.99KG
OZ - Crono HT - 7x15 - 6.17KG
Volk - TE37 - 7x15 - 4.4KG
Volk - CE28 - 7x15 - 3.9KG

i think that not even the rim itself, but the tire you're going to mount on a rim is important in terms of weight too.
to be discussed :)

mik

» CMF Member
@smidge yeah the size is listed, the alloys are all 15inch with a width of 7inch.

the flywheel, is really one of the best upgrades in my opinion too.

CMF_SSUK

» CMF Member
Grid also offer some wheels around the 5kg mark, such as 'Slipstreams', which come in at 5.1kgs in 15x6.5 and 5.4kgs in 15x7.0 and are one of the cheapest lighweight rims money can buy.

Interestingly enough the factory wheel weight for a standard 13" steel wheel with a 175/60/13 tyre from a SuperS weights 12.1kgs. An OZ SL, (quoted wheel weight of 4.9kgs), with a Toyo T1S on it weights 12.2kgs, so only 100g above stock. So to get close to stock wheel weights you have to aim pretty light.

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
You get what you pay for ;)

24dmy5c.jpg

That said, there are people that have had Rota wheels on race cars and have been fine, so take this with a grain of salt.

---dens

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
SSUK WROTE:

"You're looking at around 8.5kgs a wheel for superlites in 15x6.0, almost double that of an Enkei RPF1.

Again, massive price difference per wheel. If I could get RPF-1's in the offset/width I wanted for the cost of the superlite's, I'd have them in a heartbeat.

---dens

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
SSUK WROTE:

Interestingly enough the factory wheel weight for a standard 13" steel wheel with a 175/60/13 tyre from a SuperS weights 12.1kgs. An OZ SL, (quoted wheel weight of 4.9kgs), with a Toyo T1S on it weights 12.2kgs, so only 100g above stock. So to get close to stock wheel weights you have to aim pretty light.

true, my misses,s stocko steelies weigh only 10kg incl 155/70/13 tyre

Attachments

• 47430.jpg
    47430.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 30

CMF_xero

» CMF Member
SSUK WROTE:

"You're looking at around 8.5kgs a wheel for superlites in 15x6.0, almost double that of an Enkei RPF1.

you sure about that? ive got konig rewinds which weight roughly 10kgs each with tyre.
when we picked up my mates set of 15x8 superlights they were couldnt have been much more than 10kg's max with tyres..

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
climberjoel WROTE:

"hey frank howdd you ballence the drum after shaving it? also was wondering if this might weaken them cause not as much thermal mass? they are retardedly heavy

mine were done last year joel, and seem ok, (these are off my misses,s car)

Attachments

• 47445.jpg
    47445.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 32

CMF_SSUK

» CMF Member
xero WROTE:

"SSUK WROTE:<BR><BR>"You're looking at around 8.5kgs a wheel for superlites in 15x6.0, almost double that of an Enkei RPF1."</DIV><BR><BR>you sure about that? ive got konig rewinds which weight roughly 10kgs each with tyre.<BR>when we picked up my mates set of 15x8 superlights they were couldnt have been much more than 10kg's max with tyres..

I'm quoting rim weight, not total weight with tyre.

Konig Rewinds in 15x7.0 are a tad over 6kgs a wheel according to Konig figures. 4kgs seems very light for a tyre, so I suspect you have smaller rims or have scales which are out of calibration. I doubt very much that a 15x8 Superlite with tyre would be less than 10kgs. With a 15x7 Superlite classic tipping the scales at 8.5kgs for the rim, 1.5kgs for a tyre isn't going to leave much for more than a condom ;)

Back