What's Wrong with QGs?

Magpie42

Actual Magpie.
No-one in here seems to mention the QG15DE and QG18DE engines for engine swaps...is there something dodgy about them or something?

It's just that they're really cheap and look like they'd be a relatively easy fit in a K11....

Are they haunted?

Sent from the Magpie's magical nest using Tapatalk

Coilpack, so better suited to a late facelift. Also, timing chain stretch issues causing fault codes and poor running/cutting out.
I'd be up for doing ne if I could find a suitable pre-stretched chain from a reputable source to replace the nissan chocolate ones.

Someone had a go at using some other random chain off another engine
I never real followed it up but could be worth digging out if he succeeded?

Aye definately, would consider selling the GA micra and doing a QG in a facelift instead if there was a reliable QG chain :)

Crap gearbox's (filler plug too low), oil consumption issues, bad coilpacks, timing chain stretches, piston rings, hugely underpowered. Etc not good engines. When SR20s and GA16s are so plentiful there's little point.

My dad had a P11 Primera facelift with a QG18DE engine. He had no end of problems with it. Got written off eventually, which was a shame because I actually liked that car :(

You'd bolt it up to a CGA3 box, modify engine mount and loom for QG ecu, sell the CGA to someone on here for a tidy sum.
Easy 118hp, struggle to get that without head porting on a GA, and SR20 is a helluva lot of work, custom shafts etc.

Might need to do what I did and chop and blank the water pump pulley/impellor and use an electric water pump, might be a tad tight for clearance with stock mounts.
If you seriously give it a go I'll lend a hand research wise :)

I'll investigate chain options first...see if that's curable...

Sent from the Magpie's magical nest using Tapatalk

Back