What tyres do you use and why?

SirChris

Educated Bodger
Thought it would be good to get a little thread going on what and why tyres are used.

Mine are 185/60/13.. only fell upon them by buying a set of wheels. Hankook are the brand. Happy being thrown about on the road and deal well with speed. The walls are very strong and don't fall to cornering. Had a Google and they are cheap as well.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Cooper Xeon XTC 185-55-14, been using them for years now and will continue to for many more. Great in the dry and the wet and theyre not overpriced (same company as avon)

Accellera Gamma 165/55 R13 They are cheap, and the size I want. Also they do not have a rim protector moulded into the tyre wall - I really don't like the look of that, particularly with a bit of stretch. Looked great on a 7". I put up with them on a 5" :(

Ive got 155/55/14 Nankangs NS2's ... not the best reputation in the world but they do the job!

I had them for a little while on the red Micra, 195/45/15 as a cheap replacement. Solid tyres, especially for £35 a pop.

When it comes down to it though, and yes, I'm super mainstream - but I just can't get enough of the good old Toyo Proxes TR1 when it comes to 15" wheels. They're pretty soft so won't last as long as others, but they love to be thrown around and work really well in all conditions. Great tyre.

For 13" I prefer Yokohama A539s, even with a little bit of stretch at 175/50/13 on a 13x7 wheel they work really well. I find they seem to be a little harder than the Toyos but they still work very well in all conditions.

Currently on Ceat Spider 165/65/13 for a tenner each, not bad budget tyre. Good grip in the wet compared to my old 155/70/13.

I have 4 brand new Nankang (I think) 165/55/13 to be fitted to my 7.5J and 8.5J steelies.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Forum Runner

I've got Continental PremiumContact 185/50/16, because that's what the car came with and I didn't see any problems (besides the price!) so when it came to changing the front two I thought might as well go with the same as I have on the back.

Black and round ones, black ones don't show the dirt and round ones roll better than square ones :p

Toyo CF1's 185/55x14 on 6" rims, really pleased with every aspect and shall buy them again if and when I wear out this set.

Corsa 50's - 185/50/16. They are terrible. If you don't want to die yet, don't buy them.

Conti's in this size are £110+ fitted each (National Tyres charge £131)!!! Toyo's are decent, but don't last very long and other than that you are left with Kumho Ecsta's KH31's in this size, but I don't know what they are like?

Hence why I am looking at changing the tyre size.....

Back