What to do with E30?

CMF_Mimz

» CMF Member
Just want opinion on what will worth more a stock E30 or a modified one?
Car in question is e30 318is. Just got confirmation from BMW Australia that the VIN and engine number are original and genuine. However the engine is currently not working suspecting possible head gasket blown, have strip the the block down and from visual inspection all major parts seem to be in good condition.
What should i do:
A. Rebuild the engine so it can keep the original matching data or,
B. Throw in another engine

CMF_bronald

» CMF Member
They're worth peanuts anyway, and the kinda people that buy them these days really care not for matching details.

Drop a wrecker spec motor in, maybe throw some rings and bearings at it, and be done it it!

CMF_Mimz

» CMF Member
bronald WROTE:

"They're worth peanuts anyway, and the kinda people that buy them these days really care not for matching details.

Drop a wrecker spec motor in, maybe throw some rings and bearings at it, and be done it it!

Thats exactly what i thought too when i brought the car over a year ago for pretty much peanut money. Was gonna use it for spece30 racing but never got around to doing anything and its just been sitting in my front lawn ever since. However for the last 6 months i have like 4 people knocking on my door asking if its a genuine 318is and if its for sale. That kinda got me thinking if i throw $3k on either rebuilding the one in there or get a wrecker engine of some sort possible m50 plus engineering certificate and another $2k for new paint job. Pretty sure i can recoup the cost in worse case if i was gonna sell it straight away or just sit on it for awhile hopefully the price would go up. Considering the car is getting to 30ish age so could possibly become a vintage car :p i hope, thats where the big dollar is. So my question is if it did become a vintage car, would a stock engine hold it valve more or not so i know where to put my money on now.

CMF_bronald

» CMF Member
True, spend 5, might get 6 for it, but is it worth all that hassle for 1k?

I guess if you enjoy it for a few months then sell it it's kinda worth it.

Would love to see some pictures!

Back