What to do now (engine)

I have just got hold of a micra, 1.3i and would like to give it a bit more ummfff, i wont be driveing till next year and would like to work on the engine of this car however i dont have much money!.

what cheap ways are there to give this car abit more power ?, i will only have around 500 max to spend

Thanks

Depends how involved you want to get?
1.0 pistons are a very good option to raise the compression ratio (to 12:1 so frank says)
some reprofiled cams?
decent exhaust system, 'Frankspeed' manifold with peterlloyde from mani to back box...
ga16 airbox with decent filter in the box...

thats what i would do anyway:)

then if you have some money left over and want to get rid of that awful body roll go for corsa b coilovers (best mod imo for the money).

lol remember im only nearly 16 my dad isnt a mechanic and i have hardly any tools/welders, some stuff i will be fitting myself most will have to be done by the garage,
Are induction kits any good ?, also i heard ecu re-mapping can do wonders ?

read this regarding the exhaust http://www.micra.org.uk/threads/40386-Exhaust?highlight=exhaust

exhaust mods and the almera airbox with a decent cold air feed will do wonders. When I took my Super S standard to the dragstrip I was running 18.7 after fittinng a jaspeed downpipe,frankspeed manifold and a straight through pipe rather than a backbox and a almera airbox + K&N + cold air feed I was running a best time of 16.6!

You could look into fitting Ga16 fuel injectors and getting as remap aswell.

hope this helped!

Where abouts are you? I'm a mechanic if your not far away you could get it to me and I'll do the work you require

i think everything has been covered but i wouldnt fit an induction kit/mushroom/cone thingy. they're only good for noise. they suck in too much hot air = slower car. like previously stated an almera air box with a good quality panel filter. the almera box has a larger bore cold air intake pipe. or you could modify your original air box to fit bigger pipe work and feed the cold air to it from the grill. also bigger brakes = faster car. sounds daft but if you can stop quicker then you can brake later meaning you'll win when slowing for roundabouts. (Y)

If you're only 16 and not yet passed your Driving test, I'd check what modifications will do the the insurance ......

I've got 8 years NCD, had a driving licence since before you were born :grinning: and yet still had to pay an extra £100 for subtle mod's that actually made the car safer to drive !

Sorry to be a bore but you may find you need most of that £500 you've got to 'improve' the performance is required to insure the beast.

Good luck !

Im looking for bolton mods and dont want o do anything to complicated and expensive but new exhaust and manifold i may go ahead with, if i change the exhaust system to a decent one will the rest of the car change or would other things need changing oh and i didnt by the car in the first place so that money will be going toinsurance and im going to work my butt of to get the money lol. I

Im looking for bolton mods and dont want o do anything to complicated and expensive but new exhaust and manifold i may go ahead with, if i change the exhaust system to a decent one will the rest of the car change or would other things need changing oh and i didnt by the car in the first place so that money will be going toinsurance and im going to work my butt of to get the money lol. I

You may want to learn to use the car first buddy chances are it'll get crashed as most first cars do so you don't want it running a load of bhp before you can actually handle the stock bhp

lol, im oonly looking for a 20 bhp gain so nothing major i should be able to handle 100 bhp's i have a number of times before, the old car in a field trick lol ;)

lol, im oonly looking for a 20 bhp gain so nothing major i should be able to handle 100 bhp's i have a number of times before, the old car in a field trick lol ;)

Hehe you may say that now, but without the suspension being done also the likelyhood is, you'l loose control of it at some point! (I just lost control of my 1.0 ! Hated that)

Induction is a very cheap fast way to start, ( I cut my stock pipes down for increased airflow, it felt so different)

General maintenance, if cars not had maintenance, you'l feel a rush of power being reeped back after being looked after.

Light weight alloys (If you can find some knocking around cheap)

Frankspeed (Y) haha,

Back