What servicing to do first?

lewic

Ex. Club Member
Have had my K10 for a few weeks now and it is running ok, but have noticed a couple of niggly things.

I did an oil/filter change last week (about the limit of my mechanical ability at the mo..) and since then the idle speed has sounded slightly wrong at times. Immediately after the oil was changed it ran at really high revs for a couple of minutes and only slowed back down once I'd revved it some more.

Not sure the two things are linked, but since then its been particularly revvy when I start the car, and doesnt sound quite as smooth as it did before. Looking at other posts I wonder if there is a problem with the auto-choke? It seems to be eating a lot of petrol around town, and on the motorway could practically see the guage going down!

It is probably very overdue for more servicing (the oil was like thick black soup), and am wondering what I should do first? Can't afford to have loads of work done at once so would like to start with the most cost-effective jobs. Eventually I want to change shocks, tyres etc, but dont want to do this if it turns out the engine is on its way out! Its done 100k.

Any advice appreciated

Back