What the ?...Noisy engine - any advice thanks

CMF_Homeister

» CMF Member
Hi everyone, Cisco.

My Micra's going great, just had it serviced (145K kms) and still happily zipping around inner Sydney.

Just one thing: the engine's become quite noisy and raucous. The mechanic couldn't identify the source. Do ya think its to do with the air intake thing you describe in the faults section here? Apart from that no other complaints.

Any ideas what may be causing the extra noise? What solutions?
Any advice thanks Micra Bruthas and Sistas

CMF_Homeister

» CMF Member
They used Shell Helix...dunno what grade/type though. Oh, the louder noise started a few weeks before the recent service...I thought a tune-up would reduce it but it hasn't.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
It would be really nice if you could describe the noise as best as you can.

Out of curiosity though, is it a medium-toned grinding almost scratchy type noise coming more from the top left hand side of the engine?

CMF_Homeister

» CMF Member
Dunno what side of the engine...all over really.

It just sounds like a "low" rumble, more raucous with the throttle response. If it were human, it would be like someone with a sore throat trying to cough it up...!

No problems or stalling on startup either

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
Pretty sure the grinding / grating noise is the timing chain, my dads micra does that when its cold > it then goes away when hot. Unfortunatly their service life was 100'000KM but many member get far more than that out of one. If it is its usually not worth replacing, see how much you can get another whole motor from a Japanese parts importer. Yeah tapping from the head is sometimes a sticky lifter,

Alex

CMF_makes

» CMF Member
My micra has done over 210,000kms and doesn't have any timing chain rattle so far (touch wood).

I suspect the life of the chain & tensioner is heavily influenced by service history & how the car has been driven. Mine has always been handbook serviced (incl. regular oil changes), isn't 'thrashed' and mostly does highway work.

If yours isn't making any noise "GTRHolic" i wouldn't worry about changing it....

"Homeister", I would like to suggest its worth investigating if this noise might just be be a problem with the muffler ?. My micra's muffler (still the original from factory) seems to have lost some of its efficency due to age/corrosion. This has made the car much noiser both inside & out.... with similar symptoms to what you have described.

Hmmm, in fact I reckon it's a good excuse to get the 2" sports exhaust system I have been thinking about.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
haha i heard GTRHOLIC's today, and oh boy is that a noisey timing chain.

Sounded like it wanted to jump right off the cogs.

We should compile some sound recordings of various CG engine noises to watch out for/expect...

CMF_Napster

» CMF Member
well i was just about to post up a new POST but then i searched the FORUM and found this!

so, im not sure if it was fully answered, but my k11 is also making a weird "tatting" at startup!

my friend told me to "put the clutch in" when the engine was running and see if the engine gets quiter? i does and it doenst (which doesnt make snese i know)

is there something up with my "tappiets"??? i think its them?

in the car all u hear is a "tapping"? outside the car u get the "tapping" with a low "choking"?

Thanks

Napster

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
If it goes away when the engine gets warm it is just your timing chain.

If you're worried, there's an article on this website regarding troubleshooting with it, and it can eliminate most of the worries you might have with it.

Attachments

• 10870.jpg
    10870.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 24

CMF_Napster

» CMF Member
cheers YOM, im not really worried bout it cause i have been driving it for a while now and it seems fine (fingers crossed+touch wood) i was just wondering if it was anytin bad or could get worse?

i was think about getting a service!! probably the best thing.

ohh, would "putting to much OIL in my engine cause it to be making this TUTTING SOUND?"

Napster

CMF_Napster

» CMF Member
ohh dear, not good!

i think i have put a little to much oil in then :-(

im actually annoyed now, i might possibly have, if i rememebr correctly, but then i might not have!

if i look at the "oil dip stick" if its over the "max" then is that bad???

Napster

Back