What is NATS?

Can someone explain to me what NATS is, is it a common thing to go wrong, and what happens if you take the battery off, will the 'NATS' need reprograming.
Thanks in advance.

Nissan Anti Theft System. It's the system where the receiver near the ignition barrel 'recognises' the key. If the system doesn't recognise the key, several major engine systems won't initialise thus protecting your car from tea leaves :).

Thanks for your help, so i take it getting a spare key cut would not be so easy, im guessing the key would have to be programmed to match the car? If so how is this done?
thanks.

Yeah, a key cut from a normal blank would be useless. The usual way of replacing a key is to give Nissan your first-born child and they'll cut you a new one. Alternatively some high street key places can do. I think one of the lads on here works for one and they can do it for sensible money :grinning:.

Thanks, how do i know if i have the original 'master' key to get it copied, is it stamped or something?
Is nats generally something that goes wrong quite often, searching previous threads seems a few have a problem with it.

I get the impression that if you leave it alone, it'll leave you alone :laugh:. Basically, if a key works it's legit and can be copied.

Back