What Gauge To Use ??? -------------------------

Hi, i see there are two types of Gauges used, i.e. PSI and BAR,

which of the two is used more? which is better? and what you guys recommend to use for the turbo setup?

cheers

J

They're just different ways of measuring the same thing. 1 BAR is equal to just under 15 PSI so for a boost guage, I'd go for PSI as you'd get more information :).

My boost controller is my boost gauge, i currently run 0.90 bar. And because its digital id say its more accurate than the typical guage :) also im sure it can be set to psi

Any measuring tool/sensor is only as 'accurate' as a known measuring 'standard' it's configured to reference and it's 'precision' depends on it's operating efficiency & reliability via regular calibration and maintenance.

In terms of gauge readout UI:

I think the first time you use analog dials, it'll require more visual & mental calculations:
  1. visually locate the needle,
  2. visually locate the nearest upper & lower unit number,
  3. visually calculate the approx value via which marker it's nearest to,
  4. mentally recall the min/max limit,
  5. mentally assess if the value is within safe limits
As you get used to their normal behavior (mentally stored the min/max limits of each gauge) then it'll require less mental calculation as your decision process just says (oh as long as it's within 'this' region) and you can rapidly judge the operating condition with a glance
  1. visually locate needle
  2. visually recall min/max region
  3. visually assess if the value is within safe limits
Whereas digital numerical values require more mental thinking calculations
  1. visually read & understand the numerical value,
  2. mentally recall the min/max limit,
  3. mentally assess if the value is within safe limits
In general
analog dials = high speed & high precision but low accuracy
digital numbers = high accuracy & high precision but low speed

Excellent guys thanks!! PSI it is then, also i have noticed on fleaby there are copius amounts of chinese SH-YTE looking Boost Gauges!! unbelieveable!! the best ones ive seen are VDO, Stack, JDM, Elliot, but there pricey!! :(

Cheers

J

mine,s a diagnostic tool thingy (easier to read than my generic ebay one)

gaugeb.JPG

I use various measurements in work ( hydrologic engineer) psi/bar etc etc

1 bar = 14.5 psi

Personaly once you get used to the gauges you can work it out in your head without thinking about it.

I've gone for Bar ones personally, as most people in the starlet world talk about turbos being good for 1 bar, 1.4 bar, etc.

Back