What do you think

SHR3K

Ex. Club Member
Well mine are in the boot on wood, lovely sound off of them :D

With a 6x9 and a speaker on each piece of wood it seems to act like one big bass box, but i think it sounds better than the parcel shelf lol,

Anyway what do you all think?

Shr3k

2june2.JPG

Im not too keen on the above install, i dont mean to be offensive or anything but it's like you can't decide what sound you want to go for, so have just thrown everything in the back! You should stage the sound in your car so you have base in the back, high range up front in the doors, instead of chucking it all in the rear.

Thread split & moved to the ICE section.

I agree with Arnold! Heres my lil theory of music (well what i've been told)

Bass travels downwards,music travels backwards.So if your driving forwards you'd wanna hear the music.So a decent set of door speakers up front would be your best option.Then for your bass have your sub(s) in the back.YOUR the one whos in the drivers seat so you should get the best quality sound.

Just my $0.02

i have done loads of installs and the best place for components is as close as you can get them to being pointed backwords towards the driver, subs either behind the driver, or right behind the seats.
and any mid-range (6x9's or 17cm) in the rear foot wells or even in the rear quarters...

will sound almost perfect,,,,

Well i'm not doubting anyone

but!

I have designed the boot to be played with the boot open cus you can;t fit 20 people in the micra's unfortunately!

Also when i'm in the car i'm lucky as i can set my stereo up near perfect for incredible sound to the driver, At the front i can hear everything perfectly, I have 2 modes one for general driving and one for open boot partying :)

And no offence to anyone here but it sounds awesome and i'm not gonna change it to be on the car. Anyway thanks for giving me ideas for me next 2 subs :) and me new 6x9;s i think after 15 speakers that i will stop ;)

Shr3k

Does your bootlid enjoy the music?

I don't know i don;t have a habbit of walking up to inanimate objects and asking them questions? Why do you? Also do they have accents like us? Ad do they speak japanese or english? :D I'm all intrigued now....

Shr3k

as above.

to be honest everyone has different tastes in how their system is setup.

and different ideas.

so getting other peoples input may be helpful but it may not be ideal for the individual.

and anyway im not bothered as it isnt my car :p

jackassuk

it's all down to personal taste, different music requires a different set-up.

Yeah i agree with that, however there are some really clued up people on here who could make you get the best out of your system. You might think something sounds 'amazing', but until you've improved what you've got, your never going to know how better it could sound.

I used to think a set of 6x9's sounded great, now check out my system.. No looking back at all.

If you are playing with the boot open then fair enough, but you didnt state that originally ;)

I guess you've provided a HPF for each of the speakers, and a LPF for the sub?

Antony, there is no real reason to have 6x9's/components in the rear doors/quarters if you have a decent amped setup up front and a properly setup/tuned subwoofer system.

Mid/midbass quite often sound good when aimed at one another accross the width of the car, and tweeter placement can be very tricky to get right. Anywhere from footwells (for the wanted 'rainbow' effect) through to dash pointed up at the windscreen, to A-pillars pointed accross the car or even at the driver. It's all about the bluetac ;)

I've learnt a load since I first started installing, and I now have my ideal perfect setup planned for the next car, knowing exactly what cabling is needed, power, etc. It's taken a long time to get to this stage! I'm sure by experimenting you'll continue to make it better and better :)

Are you adding 2 different subwoofers to the current sub?! I also don't think you need 15 speakers, just amp the ones you have got ;).

Are you adding 2 different subwoofers to the current sub?! I also don't think you need 15 speakers, just amp the ones you have got ;).

Well may not get 15 speakers lol but amping the ones i got sounds a good idea? What do i need, another amp or can i use the amp i got for the 6x9's and speakers?

Shr3k

Yeah the sub box has an amp which came with it and the speakers are just wired to the head unit,

Shr3k

any speakers with a higher RMS rating than the source unit you are using can cause the speaker to be under powere. you can actualy blow more speakers "under" powering speakers than over powering them,

so running the 6x9's from the head unit isnt the best idea....

if you amplify the speakers you also gain another benefit...

the head unit can only proccess the data given to it at a set volume, any higher up that volume and it starts to distort the amplification, if you use the "pre-amplified" outputs on the rear of the head unit you can use a stand alone amplifier to clean up and then amplify the signal.... so you can not only play the sound louder, but clearer..... as demonstrated in my first car, i had 16 year old paper cone speakers amped up and ran them for ages sounding brilliant,.....plugged them into the standard head unit and they sounded pap!!!
lol

but whatever you do, dont throw away our advise cos its not what you may have "seen before"

OMG You can't damage speakers by under powering them otherwise you would damage them every time you turned the volume down. *shakes head* kids eh?

He's not referring to volume, he's referring to the wattage, as in running 50w speakers on a head unit only designed to do 14w. That can damage them

imagine it like a car, the speaker is the body, the amp is the engine.

if you're engine isn't powerful enough to pull the weight it'll get damaged.

You need to have more power than required.

to me....that made it alittle more complicated lol, but i understand the theory lol

any speakers with a higher RMS rating than the source unit you are using can cause the speaker to be under powere. you can actualy blow more speakers "under" powering speakers than over powering them,

so running the 6x9's from the head unit isnt the best idea....

if you amplify the speakers you also gain another benefit...

the head unit can only proccess the data given to it at a set volume, any higher up that volume and it starts to distort the amplification, if you use the "pre-amplified" outputs on the rear of the head unit you can use a stand alone amplifier to clean up and then amplify the signal.... so you can not only play the sound louder, but clearer..... as demonstrated in my first car, i had 16 year old paper cone speakers amped up and ran them for ages sounding brilliant,.....plugged them into the standard head unit and they sounded pap!!!
lol

but whatever you do, dont throw away our advise cos its not what you may have "seen before"

You don't blow speakers by underpowering them, you blow them by providing a distorted/clipped signal.

The headunit can only process the data? What data? All this is about is the amplification side of the audio circuit, i.e. the mosfet setup not being able to switch quickly/with a high enough voltage swing to provide an unclipped/clean signal. Many headunits don't actually clip, and quite a few clip way before their max volumes (even down the RCA Preouts), so it's always good to get the headunit scoped! Alpines tend to have a clean output right through to max (this is without bass boost, eq'ing, etc) and many other brands clip before this stage.

However, what can be said is that more power can provide better control of the speaker, so it's usually of benefit to externally amp the speakers :)

if you turn the HU down to half volume it is only kicking out half its power (like an engine at half revs) so it is volume.

in that case the HU (engine) will get damaged not the speakers (body)

So can i use the amp i have or buy a new one? Also i will speak to one of you in the future about setting my sound system up properly, stage 1 was to get it fitted with some other bits done to the car
stage 5 will be perfecting it ;)

But i will require some ideas and diagrams! in the very near future guys,

But lets keep it simple for now eh? I am still classed as a noob ;)

Shr3k

Back