Hiya newbie also have a problem hope you can help...

Hiya , just brought myself a nissian micra 1999.....got given a parrot kit so thought id install it....... I have fitted a few before, any way long story short. took out stereo which wasn't original one was an aftermarket jobby alba, previous owner didn't bother buying harness adaptor and decide to chop wires and bullet them together... earth wire wasn't connected as I believe it earths threw Ariel ... so for parrot kit to work needed to find a earth there was a wire from oem block which was for original stereo wasn't used as it was cut and just dangling, did a continuity test to see if it was an earth and it was so joined it to parrot block.... everything worked fine stereo... parrot etc but tonight when I went to turn on tail lights I had none..... brake lights and dipped lights worked, so thought it was a fuse changed it and everything worked for a second an it popped it again..... I had one more fuse left so decided to disconnect earth to parrot and Ariel and put new fuse in, connected stereo and tail lights staying on all the time soon as I connect areal in they go off? any ideas only got car today....so was a bit annoyed as been trying to fix it and figure out what's wrong using phone flash light :(

what ive done it disconnected stereo so tail and dash lights go off , so I don't have a flat battery tomorrow but soon as I connect power block on stereo they come on and stay on, if I put Ariel into stereo they go off ......? seems like stereo is back feeding giving them a p+ feed?

I apologise for pure grammar been up since 6, its been an extremely long day !

Wow that's a bit of hard luck you've got there. As far as the wirings concerned I'd trace them to the fusebox if possible and see that the previous owner hasnt crossed a wire or shorted something out looking for a quick fix.
If you've a Haynes book of lies (sometimes they're useful) and look at the two wiring diagrams for both circuits. It'll give you wire colours too

hiya thanks for reply... i wont get a chance to look at it till the weekend as working away and left it at my mates house...... i phoned up previous owner who said it was all working fine he had no problems..... also even thou earth is connected to parrot that loose wire...and stereo, stereo wont turn on unless you plug ariel in..... but soon as you disconnect that loose wire which is testing up as a earth the lights wont work...... but connect it and there on all the time... but stereo will power up only when Ariel is plugged in! so its something to do with that wire i believe but what? as it wasn't connected to nothing and was apart of original stereo block...do the tail somehow connect via stereo if anyone can shine a little more light would be great so i can hopefully sort it out on weekend.

Sounds like your lights are bypassing the switch because of this parrot
The rear lights may well be connected as the original unit would have lit up with the lights on
Try turning the switch on for your lights and testing it again. It could be a 12v supply cable from the lights.. meaning this parrot gadget is earthing its supply through the lights... hence they're on?

Back