MOT help! +NEED URGENT HELP+

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Got my MOT 1 week today and need to get my a** into gear and sort my car out!

As some may know i've recently put new bucket seats in and i need to remove the front standard seat belts. I've took out the bottom bolt and the small plastic screw.I've pulled out the mechanism,but i cant remove the told part (that slides up and down the pillar)

I've changed my steering wheel and the air bag light is on still. If i cut the block off and joined the 2 wires,will this solve the problem?

The horn doesnt work (since changing the steering wheel) Theres currently a wire coming from the back of the horn button connected to a brass ring on the boss (earth). If i spliced a live into the original wiring (that happens to have a connector) will the horn work?

I've already changed my headlights over so thats fine.

Think everything else is fine :)

I've changed my steering wheel and the air bag light is on still. If i cut the block off and joined the 2 wires,will this solve the problem?

They dont test airbags on the MOT

My gti has the light on and it passed

They said it could be a used airbag, as in deployed and they would still pass it

LEAVE AS IS!!

The horn doesnt work (since changing the steering wheel) Theres currently a wire coming from the back of the horn button connected to a brass ring on the boss (earth). If i spliced a live into the original wiring (that happens to have a connector) will the horn work?

Just wire up a little switch into the horn wiring...again passed my almera that way

Theres currently a wire coming from the back of the horn button connected to a brass ring on the boss (earth). If i spliced a live into the original wiring (that happens to have a connector) will the horn work?

If you've got a wire left over, attach it under the steering wheel bolt on the steering column, that'll earth it and it should work.

my airbag light had some tape over it ;) in side the clear plastic on the dials...

as for the horn, mine nearly failed as mine wasnt wired up, luckley i knew the guy and told him i had ordered one off ebay and he let me off..just!

as for the seat belt bolt, theres 2 12mm bolts that hold the slider to the car (under the plastic trim) comes off easier than the 15 or 17 (carnt remeber what size) altough i have never had trouble with the bolt, try a spanner or racthet with a hammer ;) thats what i use if i carnt undo the bolt with seriuos force!

leave the seat belt in they cant fail it if it works and under the cap ther is a 17mm bolt and they can fail it for the airbag light been on if it had one from standrd but you can take the bulb out

and they can fail it for the airbag light been on if it had one from standrd but you can take the bulb out

no, they can't fail it for airbag light on as it's not a testable item, unlike abs light for example. if they do fail it for airbag light, get them to show you in the mot handbook, and you can't take the bulb out as it's two small led's that would require taking the clocks apart and de-soldering.

so either leave it or put some tape over it. it was me that put tape over squarepants' light, when it was my car, and no probs at all.

with regards to the horn, get a seperate two pin push switch (doesn't even need to say horn on it (just make sure tester knows where it is before you leave it for mot)). run an earth to one side of the switch and connect the other pin to the horn wire under the steering column.
to get the horn button to work on the steering wheel, you'd need to connect the horn wire to the brass contact ring on the back of the boss. like on a pre-facelift. it's difficult, but i did mine, so can be done.

I thought that it had to have some indication it was the horn? Even if it didn't say on the switch, it had to have horn written near it, even if it was in tipex or something.

Sure I read it somewhere, although that might of been for older tests or something.

and they can fail it for the airbag light been on if it had one from standrd but you can take the bulb out

No they can't!! Its not testable on an MOT...

There are loads of stupid things on the mot

If you have a crack on your windscreen, just smash it out and take off the wipers, then they have to pass it!

Back