Weird electrical ticking? and fogs issue

I'm getting some kinda weird electrical ticking noise when I drive the car - seems to only happen when above about 30mph.

I've had the clocks off recently to change the dash bulbs - any chance I could have disturbed something?

Also, a friend of mine has had some issues with his super s recently, I believe he posted it on here but didn't get much of a response.
Basically the dimmer wire was left connected to the head unit, which caused a minor cabin fire.
We stripped the wire back and cleaned everything off, but since then his fogs have been on permanently - and they're covered up with gaffa tape at the mo.
We've checked the relay in the bay, and fuse in the glove box - but I'm wondering if either:

A> the illumination wire should be earthed to something? (is it an earth or a power feed???)
or B> the illumination wire could have melted itself to another wire somewhere causing the fogs to stay on with the sidelights?

Gonna take a look at both cars tomorrow, so any pointers on this would be much appreciated (Y)

If you're talking about the head unit illumination wire, just cut it, insulate it and don't connect it to anything, they cause all sorts of problems on many cars due to the different ways in which the lighting circuits are wired.

As for the clicking, that is a rather vague description... does it happen when rolling, or when in gear? Does it change with engine speed? Does it change if you turn the volume of the radio down? Does it stop if you turn the radio OFF (I had an annoying sound that turned out to be the CD spinning).. Does it change when you go around corners (left or right). Does it click more or less if you apply the brakes?

Answer those questions and by then you may well find out what's causing the clicking noise!:)

If you're talking about the head unit illumination wire, just cut it, insulate it and don't connect it to anything, they cause all sorts of problems on many cars due to the different ways in which the lighting circuits are wired.

Yeah the illumination wire - will trace it back as far as I can, and snip it there - at the moment we just snipped it near the head unit end.

As for the clicking, that is a rather vague description... does it happen when rolling, or when in gear? Does it change with engine speed? Does it change if you turn the volume of the radio down? Does it stop if you turn the radio OFF (I had an annoying sound that turned out to be the CD spinning).. Does it change when you go around corners (left or right). Does it click more or less if you apply the brakes?

Answer those questions and by then you may well find out what's causing the clicking noise!:)

seems more noticable when doing above 30mph or so, and doesnt seem to matter what's switched on (heaters, stereo, wipers, lights etc...), and is not affected by braking or cornering.... doesnt seem to be rythmic to the engine as such but it's definately got a beat to it...

may be a silly question but can you hear it more or better with the window down,does it sound like its coming from inside the car, front maybe, had any work done on the brakes lately ?

may be a silly question but can you hear it more or better with the window down,does it sound like its coming from inside the car, front maybe, had any work done on the brakes lately ?

erm, more so with the window fully up - cant here jack all other than induction roar and exhaust howl with the window down :p
Brakes haven't been touched in almost a year...

Sounds very much like its dashboard area - either the gauges or fuses, somewhere in that region - hard to tell when driving cos I can't really follow the noise and the road at the same time :p

The brakes have a small piece of iron that keep the pads, if this left its right position touches the brake disk and make a periodical sound. Just remove the pads and place them again.( if my answer is off topic, i am sorry but i don't understand the technical words in english)

Might be the speedo cable.. If it's speed related, but not engine related then it's either:

Speedo Cable,
Wheels
Brake Discs
CV Joints
Wheel bearings
Rear drums

The only other thing worth checking (which drove me MENTAL on my last car) is if you go on some gravel (like a drive), you can get a pebble stuck in your tyre which will make a clicking noise like a wheel bearing...

i had a sound that sounded just like a little electical ticking turned out to be my tripmeter reset button held it down after it started making the sound and voila it stopped need a plexi glass cover still lol

I get that sound too. It but it doesnt sound electrical to me, and faster i go the louder it gets. But when it warms up it goes away? sounds liek its coming from inside of the speedo. Its like a rattling like something was violents viabrating and hitting something. Is that the same with you?

The brakes have a small piece of iron that keep the pads, if this left its right position touches the brake disk and make a periodical sound. Just remove the pads and place them again.( if my answer is off topic, i am sorry but i don't understand the technical words in english)

Don't think it's that - but will check it out :)

Might be the speedo cable.. If it's speed related, but not engine related then it's either:

Speedo Cable,
Wheels
Brake Discs
CV Joints
Wheel bearings
Rear drums

The only other thing worth checking (which drove me MENTAL on my last car) is if you go on some gravel (like a drive), you can get a pebble stuck in your tyre which will make a clicking noise like a wheel bearing...

i had a sound that sounded just like a little electical ticking turned out to be my tripmeter reset button held it down after it started making the sound and voila it stopped need a plexi glass cover still lol

Will give that a go just in case :)

I get that sound too. It but it doesnt sound electrical to me, and faster i go the louder it gets. But when it warms up it goes away? sounds liek its coming from inside of the speedo. Its like a rattling like something was violents viabrating and hitting something. Is that the same with you?

I'm beginning to think it is the speedo cable - had a really good listen for it on my way home from work, and it definately sounds like it's coming from within the dash pod...

I think its the same issue for me, although i havnt got time to open up and see. Do let me know if you make ay progress.

Speedo cable i will bet. Once had the problem in a sunny gti i had a few years back, never got it fixed just turned the music up.

Ok - so the ticking was the speedo cable.

As for my friend's fogs issue, we now have double the problem - my super s has done exactly the same thing!!!

We have exactly the same symptoms - and we think the same cause (illumination light wire shorting out at the head unit).

I have come up with an idea to sort mine - going to remove the bulbs, and install audi style driving leds inside the lense instead - then tint the lense dark.
My mate however wants to fix his properly - but were both at a total loss here, someone else must have had this problem surely?!
:(

Back