Water temperature vs oil temp.

Most of my trips would be in the region of 15 or 20 minutes, and I like seeing the coolant temp come up fairly quickly. But I wonder does that mean the oil is then hot enough to drive off any water or other contaminants, and the exhaust hot enough to burn off any corrosive nastiness? I imagine it would take a bit longer for the whole system to get cooking. Probably a good excuse for an Italian tune -up every so often. Thoughts?

Most of my trips would be in the region of 15 or 20 minutes, and I like seeing the coolant temp come up fairly quickly. But I wonder does that mean the oil is then hot enough to drive off any water or other contaminants, and the exhaust hot enough to burn off any corrosive nastiness? I imagine it would take a bit longer for the whole system to get cooking. Probably a good excuse for an Italian tune -up every so often. Thoughts?
I would say that's not long enough to get everything up to temperature. When I drive the 5 or 10 minutes to work I know the coolant is up to temperature but the oil wouldn't be. The oil takes a long time to get up to temperature but would also take a longer time to cool down which would help keep some heat in the engine, more so than water alone would

"It just looks like a scrotum" - Jeremy Clarkson on the K12

Back