Wastegate Actuator problem, please help

hi all, after finally fitting the engine in my mica turbo i noticed that it was hesitating and was kinda juddering. i checked the waste gate actuator and the rod was not moving so the boost was not being released.

is there any way to fix this please.

if its seized you will have to take the manifold off waz, and free it off, and if its down on power then it must be stuck open a bit :eek:

I dont think that the hesitation is the actuator. are you sure its stuck? they are pretty stiff, get a bike bump and connect it to the nipple (with some pipe if needed) on the actuator and pump it a little (not too much as you might blow the diaphragm in the actuator). see if that moves it.
I think the hesitation is either the MAF joints or the timing, I would check the timing with a light first (worth investing in a light anyway if you dont have one).
Iv just thought, the rod, its stuck in the out position? that would mean its not making much boost. If its stuck in then you will be making maximum boost.

its just one problem after the other, i already spend 400 pounds on it.

lol waz, the joys of running a turbo eh :p
if the wastegate is stuck slightly open, then its gonna take ages to build up any boost, and it may explain why you,re only reaching 5 psi :eek:

Is it hesitation like engine is really struggling/jerky or just like lots of lag? Soundsike you have bitten off a bit more than you chew mate. At what rpm does the boost come on at fully throttle going up a hill? Should be around 2k-2.5k I think. If the actuator is stuck open it will be later.

well in second gear about 30mph its trying to slow down, then it goes fast again like the boost is kiking in, then slow down then fast again.

it sounds like your wastegate is surging somehow waz fwn, you might be best to book it in for a dyno session and ask them for advice
you hav,nt got the airfilter fitted/connected to a rubber hose ? (collapsing under suction)

well in second gear about 30mph its trying to slow down, then it goes fast again like the boost is kiking in, then slow down then fast again.

Does the boost go up and down with the power or does it stay constant?
Edit: seems odd that this only started with new engine.

well done keep up the fight youll get it sorted
try hook up one member up north,,,,,,if theys any willing up their

well its is when ur 19 and in college

Did you pay any attention to the other part off my post? I dont think its your actuator, it doesnt move reving it at a standstill only while driving is there enough pressure to open the wastegate

Could be an igntion problem, have your changed the plugs,ht leads dizzy cap and rotor? Or an airflow meter problem, what ecu are you running

thats a lot of things, and i dnt know anything about them. thats y am taking it to a garage. all i did was change the engine.

ok, can you use a soldering iron? There is a guide on how to do the MAF sensor in the guide section. It's a very easy job but I'm not sure if a garage will do it for you. You could just get them to swap the throttle body (which contains the maf senso)r for the old one. That should be the first thing you do in my opinion. Timing should be ok technically but might be worth checkin.

throttle body was changed, and i will have a look at that guide

Well, if your still using the old tb then presumably the MAF is ok if it was running ok before the engine change? And you should be looking for things that might have changed during the engine swap? Loose plug on the throttle body?

What about a small split in a pipe causing a vacuum leak somewhere? Would that cause the hesitation?

if ya get a 1.3 its good but you may be working towards getting it turbo'd sooner or later now that you got the feel for it
so try pursue the members that can assist or are free/willing to

When it was fast, it blew up. TBH mate sounds like you don't have the cash to be running a car like this if its not all sorted. I know there's no way I could have when I was 19. Hope you get it work though :)

Back