Warning light

CMF_cowboydave

» CMF Member
Hey guys, I have just had a warning light come on my dash. As I don't have a manual I'm not sure of the meaning. It's a red light just below the temp Gage and is on constant. If anyone can tell me what it means that would be great.

CMF_Geoff W

» CMF Member
yeah sounds like the brake warning light. This can be one of a few things.

1) The switch on the handbrake that tells you the hand brake is on can get gummed up and sticks, it's under the handbrake, you can see it from the cabin.
2) The wire connected to the switch under the handbrake has come off.
3) Your brake fluid level is low. Check the reservoir in the engine bay.

That's my theory anyway.

CMF_cowboydave

» CMF Member
Yep you are right, the brake fluid was too low. Seems thats whats been leaking under my car! I filled it up but the light stayed on. A mate suggested I unplug the battery to reset ecu and the light has now gone off. Happy days, now just need to get the fluid leak fixed :(

CMF_Geoff W

» CMF Member
Also the wheel cylinders (the bit that does the moving of the brake shoes inside the drum) on the rear drum brakes are known to flog the seals out and leak onto your brake shoes, requiring replacement of not only the wheel cylinders but also the soaked brake shoes. This can be a source of the fluid loss in LX and SLX models. Otherwise you could have leaking seals in the master cylinder.

That's about the extent of my knowledge on the matter anyways.

Back