March warning light

CMF_Faheyk1981

» CMF Member
Hi,
I drive a Nissan March 1995 K11 and i cant get rid of this red warning light on my instrument panel. I dont want to bring it to the main dealer as they will charge me an arm and a leg. Hopefully someone can help me out.

What i've done so far...

I've disconnected the battery to see if that would work and i've also given the car a full service. I've even added a fuel system cleaner/additive to the fuel tank but still the light appears.

On a rare occasion the car wont start but will always turn over. When i try starting the car the next day, it starts first time. I'm not sure if this problem is linked to this warning light. I'm assuming it is. Other than this the car runs very well.

Questions for you...

1) What is this warning light for?
2) Any ideas what may be causing it?
3) How will i fix this, without going to the dealer?

The picture attached shows the warning light i'm taking about.

Thanks,
Kevin.

CMF_Bishop

» CMF Member
Looks like a cat converter warning light, which I thought only asian countries used, mainly just Japan, something to do with exhaust emissions and what signal is usually coming off the second post cat O2 sensor.

CMF_Bishop

» CMF Member
From what I know about the cat warning systems, it's triggered by a few things, either that yes your cat is worn out increasing exhaust emissions, hence being picked up by the second O2 sensor, or the second O2 sensor has gone bad, or I know on some asian cars it simply comes on after XXXXXkms to warn you it's time for a cat replacement.

Hmm, from memory sometimes you can just unplug the second sensor and light may go away, or you can fool the circuit if you know how to feed it the voltage it wants, but I don't know enough about the Micra to know how they hooked up the system to work.

CMF_Bishop

» CMF Member
I just remembered a cat sensor warning can also be a temperature sensor, something about temp being wrong also indicating a overheating cat or along those lines, still all to do with a faulty cat in some way.

Back