Wallies Non-Micra other car, plenty of pics

CMF_Wallie

» CMF Member
this is my other car, where most of my hard earned money ends up, as the k11 i own is just a daily hack it doesnt get much love.

Car: 1988 Ford Laser Turbo
Specs:
1.6L DOHC 16v turbo engine
Rebuilt forged engine
20thou oversize forged pistons
lighten flywheel
GT2860RS Turbo with bored out VJ14 hot side to fit factory manifold
Monza Front Mount cooler with custom pipes
Fully retrimmed interior with monza racing seats in the front
RJR 15" Hype rims
2.5" exhaust with 3" dump style tip
2.5" magnaflow cat

this car has been a daily & project for the past 2.5 years, only since putting on the new turbo & front mount did i decide it needs to be a project only due to bigger custom fab work for future mods will see the car off the road for a good 6-12months

when i first got the car
P8020706.jpg

P8020704.jpg

P8020702.jpg

first mod, pulling apart the indicators to make them clear, simply removing the orange lens inside
P8260742.jpg

20100911-dsc_0617.jpg

replaced the body decals that were removed when the body was resprayed
P3180870.jpg

On the dyno with the origional turbo VF10 from a subaru liberty, 130.5fwkw on 8psi of boost
Img_1343.jpg

interior shots
1001757f.jpg

1001758o.jpg

current rims fitted RJR hype
1001761d.jpg

VF10 Died to the replacement turbo GT2860rs
FB_IMG_13385957740975837.jpg

the old bumper wouldnt fit with the new intercooler so i got 1 off a 94 mazda familia
FB_IMG_1340870431129888-1.jpg

had issues with my intercooler pipes sitting to low so i gave it an adjustment

P1000344.jpg

not sure on power figures go with the new cooler & turbo im hoping for around 150fwkw mark also running 13.5psi

CMF_Tyrie

» CMF Member
I thought these were awd?
Are the gearboxes weak? From the specs it sounds like much more boost and more power are possible, but maybe not worth it if the gearbox is too weak ...

CMF_Mimz

» CMF Member
Oh bring back memory with those cars. I use to play with them when i was younger. Had a 4WD one tho...they are rare nowadays and gearbox are pretty easy to break and hard to find. If you do find one they cost an arm and a leg. FWD one are more fun however the gearbox are just was week due to flex of some sort when doing hard launch. Think there a chap on fordlaser.com which sell adaptor plate that help strenghten them but he can only achieve mid 12 quarter.

Overall they are fun car to play with tho.

CMF_Wallie

» CMF Member
these models came in both fwd & awd, the awds came fully assembled from japan, the fwd were assembled in homebush.
1st & 2nd are the weak point & the transfer case in the awds they don't like hard launches but i have yet to blow a gearbox, i think its because i have a spare sitting in my shed with 626 internals for when it does go that it refuses to give the FWD's are a lot stronger than the awd's less egg shells & glass were used to make them.
its all in the way you drive it to how it copes with more power. the adaptor plate your talking about would be the 1 to fit the Toyota box

Back