VW Golf GT - Twincharging - Best of Both Worlds !

cisco

» CMF Member
Excellent stuff VW.

About time the car companies make smart cars and actually export them to bogan filled Australia. We need heaps more smart cars like this. So that there is competition and choice!

I was reading about some VW TDI that they put some aftermarket ECU re-flash upgrade onto and it made 380Nm. They said it totally kicks.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Considering how confidently 380NM can shift a 2.5t chunk of patrol I can imagine how well it would propell a 1.5t Golf.

I love diesels, but unfortunately I also like my boy racer petrol revs. Mabye when i settle down a bit I'll get a diesel.

The reason VW built the 1.4L twincharger was primarily for european markets where they're slugged quite heavily for big engines. By creating a 1.4L that is just as driveable as a bigger 2.0L they're tapping into the market of people who want a fast car (0 to 100km/hr or 60mph in 7.9 seconds isnt exactly slow!) but can't afford to pay the taxes on a larger engine.

I think its an absolutely brilliant idea really. A 1.4L that has the running costs of a 1.4L, the fuel economy of a 1.6L and the power and driveability of a 2.5L. Win!

On another note though it shows again how the March/Micra has always tried to be a little different to the rest of the pack by offering something no other manufacturer would offer for quite some time. K10 was the super turbo with the supercharged and turbocharged engine with EFI and a 5speed gearbox and LSD - now THAT was something special for 1987 in a small fwd car!!! Then the k11 with the CVT transmission, torquey 1.3L, airbag, abs, huge amount of room, new levels of saftey for small cars and a spirited dynamic chassis. When it was released in 1992 no other manufacturer would top the k11's sweet little package for at least 4 years. Even then CVT transmissions werent popular in production cars until around 2002!

Shame the k12 really didnt bring anything special to the table. Only fancy thing its got is the intelligent key system which has been around for yonks but mainly in the big expensive europeans and Lexus.

On that note, Lexus is250 = *splat*

cisco

» CMF Member
Yes Yom.

I just completely don't like Nissan as a car company any more. They make nothing that appeals to me any more. I love heaps of their older cars, but they're all getting too old and don't have crystal headlights and parts are getting hard to find.

I'm now more interested in your Mitsubishi's (Colt ralliart, Evo) and your VWs (hello turbo diesel mega pull).

But you'd think its just taking Nissan a while, maybe one time they will make another fast small car that's very stylish.

Man I still have my Nissan banner to hang up in the garage, but honestly, I was having second thoughts and thinking about getting something different :(

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
They are certainly doing a Toyota. White good cars.

2008 is the year though.. Watchout! Comeback of the GT-R (which has been spotted on the Nürnberg ring clearly being put through its paces), new patrol, new xtrail, APPARENTLY a new pulsar (tiida will remain but the comeback of pulsar is apparently the sporty car kinda similar to what toyota is planning to do with the corolla, they know killing of the corolla name would be dumb thing to do because its history so they're going to have it coexist alongside a new model and have two similar cars aimed at different markets), facelifts to the rest of the range.

No word on any micra sized cars though - nissan seems to have forgotten about them nowdays. SUV's make them more money. No, a crapload more money actually.

Back