Weird clunk

Weird clunk - update

Hey, it's me with my stupid noisy car again. The sooner I get a new one, the better. :blush:

Anyway, I need a diagnosis. :down: CV joints are all fixed and fine now, but I'm get a clunk from under the car now. It feels and sounds like its coming from under my feet. Notice it most on a slow full lock corner I go round and on fast roundabouts on dual carriageways. It's not all the time, maybe I'll hear it 2 or 3 times a day. Couple of people I've spoken to have said it might be the exhaust coming loose, I've had a look under the car, and tbh, I don't really know what I'd be looking for. :blush:

Any other ideas? Suspension related? Or anything I should be looking at if it is the exhaust? I have the week off next week, so if you lovely people don't come up with the answers (which of course you will ;) ), then I can pop it into a garage then.

Thanks.

maybe its a loose braket my clunk was the heat shields although its fixed now as we had to get the exhaust off to sell! :(

I have this problem with my micra it is the bushes in the wishbones you should find that the front bush is worn and it will make this sound. I greased it up but it only last for a few days.

Getting it looked at Monday night. My poor car is falling apart. Either it knows I want to sell it, or it's giving me a good incentive to. fwn

Right, it was the inner CV joint.
2.gif
One of the bearings had dropped out, and the grease had turned to water. Boot was still on solid though. Sooo......I need a new one. Anyone know of an online supplier, because I can only find outer ones for sale, or am I better off getting a second hand whole driveshaft?

On a more positive note, I've decided to fix it and keep it until Christmas, when I'm going to get a 160SR. :)

rallybunny said:
Right, it was the inner CV joint.
2.gif
One of the bearings had dropped out, and the grease had turned to water. Boot was still on solid though. Sooo......I need a new one. Anyone know of an online supplier, because I can only find outer ones for sale, or am I better off getting a second hand whole driveshaft?

On a more positive note, I've decided to fix it and keep it until Christmas, when I'm going to get a 160SR. :)

it would be a lot easier to just replace the whole driveshaft with a used one...but then you could get the same problem in a few weeks....thats the trouble with used, you dont know how long it will last, but if you dont plan on keeping the car then it will get you going again and probably last until you sell it:wasntme:

philzee said:
it would be a lot easier to just replace the whole driveshaft with a used one...but then you could get the same problem in a few weeks....thats the trouble with used, you dont know how long it will last, but if you dont plan on keeping the car then it will get you going again and probably last until you sell it:wasntme:

That is my dilemma. I've found new inner CV jointf for £60 + Vat, but can get a 2nd hand driveshaft for £30 + Vat. However it's false economy if the new one is also broken.

well on the plus side, you say youve already replaced the outers?, were they new?, if so then if you replace the inner with a new one it shows to any would-be buyer that you dont skimp on repairs and could get you the car sold at nearer what your asking cos they cant knock you down if its all new...if you know what i mean? lol

So the inner drivers side CV has broken? You should be able to just find a new tripod bearing from a different car that might fit and use that. That is assuming the existing housing isnt worn out/damaged.

Back