very rusty micra, help needed.

M

micra-mad

Hi all, my micra has recently gone through its mot, and i am amazed, as i have just noticed these BAD holes...

2003_0219Image0017.jpg

2003_0219Image0016.jpg

any advice please, will i need to get a new sill?

bloody hell mate, i thought mine was bad- First piece of advice as you well know is you shouldnt have let it get that bad but secondly, it gonna cost an arm and a leg to replace. I just got some minor welding done to mine which cost £100 n they were nowhere near as bad - and sills are part of the chassis so cant be replaced i think

Welcome to my world!

Those look as bad as mine did! Just got the SuperS into a MOT and the sills have had a fare few patches and it's still getting rusty, small hole which guy said can let off.

I'd recommend a full replacement as patch jobs just seem to go bad after a while.

I plan to use brand new sills from here, I've replaced the whole frontend so that'll last for years, might aswell do the sills.

Good look

agreed. speak to department for transport the government agency as they deal with mot garages/testers. the garage will lose its mot test licence straight away. i did this to a local halfords but for the reverse reasons they failed me on a few things that didnt need doing to get more money from me.

if the holes are not near a suspension mount area then they might be ok for mot, but the place where 99% of micras rust is in the sill within the fail area.

RE: RE: very rusty micra, help needed.

Big_ben said:
bloody hell mate, i thought mine was bad- First piece of advice as you well know is you shouldnt have let it get that bad but secondly, it gonna cost an arm and a leg to replace. I just got some minor welding done to mine which cost £100 n they were nowhere near as bad - and sills are part of the chassis so cant be replaced i think

the hole on the outside was only about a quarter of an inch in diameter, but after taking the rusty parts away it became the size shown.

christ, top one looks like the titanic! def report the garage, god knows how you didnt notice that though, or have you just brought it?

Glenn said:
christ, top one looks like the titanic! def report the garage, god knows how you didnt notice that though, or have you just brought it?

i knew the hole was there but like i have said above, the hole rather small, but only got bigger after taking the loose rust away.

P.S. the garage has closed down. i found out today that they have been giving mots to ANY cars, as long as you pay the £30.

they have commited a crime really so will still be liable perhaps? depends if you want to pursue it or not? but its not nice to have mot testers giving out passes to customers cars that could be dangerous to be driving in.

I know what the MOT garage has done is illegal but didn't he ask for advice about the sill?

The first picture, what am I looking at exactly?

i have had plate welded on mine, and its done a good job for the last few years. but my hole wasnt as big as that...

If visible rust is that bad, then there are probably more patches on the sills and around the rest of the car that are almost through. Check everywhere, or get someone knowledgeable to check.

Though that looks bad enough to require replacement of the whole sill. The seam which is spot welded along the bottom looks like it has almost come apart, and box sections have no strength when that happens.

a lesson to be learnt here for us newer micra owners or any micra which is rust free for that matter.... to rust proof the underside of our cars before metal cancer gets to work.

Kniksman said:
a lesson to be learnt here for us newer micra owners or any micra which is rust free for that matter.... to rust proof the underside of our cars before metal cancer gets to work.

Exactly!
Prevention is easier than curing!

i can get the sill, but does anybody know if i can get the inner sill (i think thats the name), also how hard is it to put on.

quickdraw said:
it needs welding on.

my brother is a welder and paint sprayer (subaru trained), so welding is ok, but i need to know if the inner sill is available to buy?

Back