valve clearances

Do you know what degrees that happens at Frank?
about 10 deg either side of tdc on overlap eh craig.
where the piston is at a standstill for about 20 deg, and the exh valve is almost shut, and the inlet valve is starting to open

Cheers bud :) I guess it will always bear near TDC and the plasticine test will tell you if you need to pocket or not - did you just leave your 1l pistons flat topped then?

Cheers bud :) I guess it will always bear near TDC and the plasticine test will tell you if you need to pocket or not - did you just leave your 1l pistons flat topped then?
aye, the piston is 2/3rds the way down when the valve is fully open (so lift has nothing to do with p2v clearance eh)
and yes, stock 1.0 pistons :)

4mm :D great! do you know of anyone running a high compression unit with some fast road cams on top? hows the clearance after that??

4mm :D great! do you know of anyone running a high compression unit with some fast road cams on top? hows the clearance after that??
my 1.0 piston 260/10mm setup had about 2mm mate, you probably would,nt need pockets till about 290 deg

Aye, no problems with 'fast road' cams.

You'll only have to worry about PTV contact if you build something exotic, which only a few are mad enough to do :rolleyes:

Here's our pocketed pistons in our CGA lump....

build.jpg

Just a nat's #### to ensure a good surface Frank. Both myself and my engine builder consider decking in the general sense a no-no.
not enough to warrant removing 2 links from the lower chain then dave :) i hope those pistons dont hit the quenchsteps ! (slightly proud aint they)

Aye, no problems with 'fast road' cams.

You'll only have to worry about PTV contact if you build something exotic, which only a few are mad enough to do :rolleyes:

Here's our pocketed pistons in our CGA lump....

build.jpg

Waa, the pic doesn't work for me :(

They Matt Humphris pistons?

Waa, the pic doesn't work for me :(

They Matt Humphris pistons?

-- Link Fixed --

No, they're custom. Matt's pistons didn't give us what we needed compression wise for the cam profile we're running. It was less risk and less cost to spec up a piston that we knew would do the job instead of trying to fudge something already available.

C+P works for me too, those pistons look very tasty indeed, care to share any details or is it all top secret?

Ta

C+P works for me too, those pistons look very tasty indeed, care to share any details or is it all top secret?

Ta

Not secret no. I don't have the spec sheet to hand to get any specific data from though.

They are on an absolute minimum overbore, as block strength is paramount over outright CC. They're pocketed as you can see and are intruder type design to give additional compression to put us into the right range for the cam while effectively managing PTV clearance.

Very nice indeed. Dare I ask for a rough cost and where you got them? Are you proceeding with a totally open deck?

Very nice indeed. Dare I ask for a rough cost and where you got them? Are you proceeding with a totally open deck?

Haven't asked the price of them yet. They were made by CP pistons and yes open deck, as that's all there is with a CGA.

Back