used K12 questions

hi all,

looking to buy a used K12. Went to see a couple over the weekend, and both had one issue or another, Wodering if any of these are common issues, and maybe simple to fix.

First car, a 2003 1.2 SE:

- had a very worn steering wheel, the plastic on the rim looked if it had melted and was slightly soft - never seen that before on a car
- slight bit of creamy substance on the oil filler cap - is this normal for this car, maybe condensation?

Second car, a 2003 1.2 S:

- passenger seat lever not working so the seat did not come forward
- passenger door handle on the outside did not work
- engine was quite rusty

Is any of this normal / typical issues?

Anyone have any ideas as to the cost / difficulty of fixing the seat lift and door handle?

Cheers,
Alex

i think i would be more concerned that the timing chain had been renewed personally alex :) its a buyers market, be fussy

I can tell you that the steering wheel is quite soft compared to my parents cars' steering wheels, and both front seat levers have broken on mine too - my car has only done 5k miles.

Thanks both :)

seems the seat levers is a common issue. Is it easy and cheap to fix?

I assume engine rust is also not uncommon?

After how many miles should the timing chain be changed? Normally chains do not need replacing like belts do. How come it does on the K12?

Cheers :)

seems the seat levers is a common issue. Is it easy and cheap to fix?

i haven't enquired about getting it fixed, but it should be easy enough because it's just a millimeter thick piece of plastic which has snapped and needs replacing. I tried super gluing it and it only lasted a day because the contact surface was so small.

i haven't enquired about getting it fixed, but it should be easy enough because it's just a millimeter thick piece of plastic which has snapped and needs replacing. I tried super gluing it and it only lasted a day because the contact surface was so small.

the early micra,s (and some almera,s) had a chain stretch issue, which was resolved by fitting a higher quality, (with a different partnumber) chain fwn
fordy was on about them this week http://www.micra.org.uk/showthread.php?p=379038
and there,s plenty of threads on the ilexa forum :)

thanks. is it easy to get access without pulling the seat apart or removing it from the car?

the early micra,s (and some almera,s) had a chain stretch issue, which was resolved by fitting a higher quality, (with a different partnumber) chain fwn
fordy was on about them this week http://www.micra.org.uk/showthread.php?p=379038
and there,s plenty of threads on the ilexa forum :)

ok thanks, good to know. worth checking the service history of any potential purchase to see if this has been done. Any idea of cost to fix it otherwise?

thanks. is it easy to get access without pulling the seat apart or removing it from the car?

it's a little awkward because of the lack of room to manouver more than anything, but just unzip the cover on the back and take a good look around with a torch and you'll find the problem.

Back