Uprated brakes

I was in the scrapyard and saw some almera gti brakes. 22v I think was on the caliper. I would like to know what ppls views are on fitting these. ie are they any good, pedal travel etc. Or are there better alternatives to look out for.

247mm almera 1.6 calipers and discs fit with no mods, almera gti calipers fit fine but you need to machine 3mm off the disc diameter to fit iirc (257mm discs). You'll have to press the pedal further on both to fill the larger pistons with brake fluid but much bigger braking capacity, as larger diameter and vented. Almera brake master cylinder would cure the pedal travel problem but didn't find it an issue on 1.6 almera ones.

Thanks for that info. I'll go for the smaller 1.6 ones then. I didn't realise the almera master cylinder fit also. What year almera is the best for the brakes.

I'm using '99 brakes, preface almera ones might be slightly lighter due to no ABS. Not sure if the Master cylinders are direct fit...

+1 for the gti setup from me with the large bore master cylinder you can brake very late!

Though weight wise they are heavy, that's where the 1.6 has it's merits similar stopping with less weight!

V22 will go under a 14 alloy with plenty of room too :)

Back