Crossmember

Anyone on line for a quick response. Need to change crossmember on my 1999. Got a chance of full front panel. Crap at welding. Do you really need to weld? Some theads say no and some say yes. Is it easier to change just middle or whole thing.

Also can anyone tell me NATS version on my car 1999 1.0 Inspiration with the red bit on the ignition key.

Thanks in advance.

bit late now, so not really a quick response :) crossmember wise, most of the work is removing the middle section..as thats where all the welding is...the rest (headlight surrounds) is only a couple of spot welds.

My opinion, is its easier to replace it all...but the copies dont always line up properly...mine for example needed some new holes / holes altering to get the lights to sit correctly...where as a middle section doesnt have as much of an issue, as its basically just a straight bar.

If you just replace the centre section, i suppose as most of the surfaces that are normally welded also have mounting holes (bumper mounts, toeing points etc) you could get away without welding it...where id say youd deffo need a few welds if you replaced the whole front panel, as theres nothing else holding the light mounting points apart from the welds (unless you make some holes and bolt it up -- cant say for deffinate how well that would work though)

if i was doing it id like it welding up, one solution is if you do most of the switch over yourself you could drive the car to a garage and get it welded up...probs would only be a few quid, as theres no real labour involved.

but again depends how you feel about it... :)

Hope that helps.

Yeah I had a discount done for my old K11 at the MoT because I removed the bumper, lights etc for the garage, then put it back on myself. Price including MoT was £130.

Back