Under seat neons - wiring?

W

werepigeon

Hi - 1st post on the forum.

I have a set of blue neons under my seats in my K11 Micra and they are powered by a cigarette lighter adapter. They look great at night, but there are wires trailing from under the seats to the cigarette lighter which I would like to conceal.

Ideally, I would like to wire them up to the cars electric and install a switch on the dashboard, but I don't know how to do this. This may have been asked before, but I had a look through the forums and couldnt see a guide or anything. Could someone either let me know where it is on the forum or explain how to wire them up?

Thanks.

I would just do a parallel circuit with the wires on the back of the cigarette lighter, at least doing this it's still fused.

Otherwise wire the positive up to the battery (make sure there's a fuse in the circuit) closer to the battery the better, then stick the negative/earth somewhere onto the body work. Just make sure you get the +/- round the right way, I'm pretty sure Neons will only work when the electrons are travelling in a certain direction!! But it may not make a difference.

splice them into the tail light wiring that runs down the drivers side, that way they'll only come on with the lights.

sonic said:
splice them into the tail light wiring that runs down the drivers side, that way they'll only come on with the lights.

Good plan, and yet again they'd be fused through the box!!

Depends what you want, but downside of doing this, is that they'd always be on when ur driving with sidelights/headlights on which you may not want

if they are normal neons they run at 110vAC if i remember right, the inverter is built into the adaptor plug.

it would be farely easy to mount this under the dash with a switch for its supply but make sure the wires to the tubes are out of the way and any joints are well insulated.

I wish they were led's back when i had a play with some, i thought they were 12v so held the wires together with my fingers for a test...... it made me sware a bit:doh:

(they were to light the dash on my old nova, worked very well with the white dial kit and orange needles)

Back