Under car shield/Sump protector K12

Hi again Guys,

Been meaning to get an under car shield for a while now cos for some reason mine was missing when i purchased the car, so i went to my local Nissan dealer and they wanted to charge me £121 for a bit of plastic!
So after various trips to the breakers yards in my area and no luck searching the web,ebay etc., i've been unable to find one, so my only other option would be to make one out of cordex (bendy plastic type material), or if anyone has a spare one? not sure what else to do other than hammerite my sump and other exposed vulnerable areas,

jon

Eeeeepp...That's alot...and I don't have a spare one unfortunatly
...you may be best off making one yourself...

I had a few problems with mine actually
...when we first got my car home we noticed at high speed (50+) there was a low rumbling noise, turned out it was this plastic undercarriage protector/valance ...thing ^_^
Had to add extra atatchments to the car with tie wraps to stop it vibrating LOL... perhaps that's why yours is missing?...

Have you looked on ebay?...may be worth emailing a seller that is breaking a K12 ;)

Hi Jen,

Thanks for the quick reply, I've checked on eBay, every other car but the k12! I'll maybe try further afield for breakers yards and I'll leave making my own as a last resort! lol

What year did they appear? My 2006 160SR never had one but my 2009 diesel does :confused:.

Now you've just made me think about something the rip off Nissan dealer said! When he looked up the item on his computer it said there wasn't one for the sr, just the smaller engine models, but i didn't think anything of it as they are prob all the same underneath, so now I'm wondering if there ever was one installed?
I wonder if anyone else has noticed? Can't understand why they aren't fitted? Even my 97 mondeo had one fitted! lol :)

You'd be able to tell, mine has 3 bolts along the front and 2 under the car.

Both my 1.4 Sport+ and my mums 1.2 Activ don't have under-car shields and to be honest if you're looking to protect the sump a flimsy sheet of plastic is going to do next to nothing, it's just one more thing to take off if you need to do some work on the car.

Based on what Jen and Guy have said I think they only came with the 1.5 Renault Diesel-Powered Micras.

I think you may be onto something there Tchaaa
...Mine is a 55 plate k9k and my mums is a 52 plate 1.4...and hers is "missing" maybe it is only the diesels that had them in the first place...?

Only significant difference with the underside of petrols and diesels that I can see is that diesel have an aluminium sump.

Well, Both yours and Guy's Diesel's have them, My 1.4, Your mums 1.4 and My mums 1.2 and Guy's old 160SR are all missing them, so it makes sense :) Mind you they're all pre-facelift ones so could have been an addition in the facelift petrol versions?

Ha! I've just been to the seaside and there was a sky blue k12 parked opposite me, i also nearly looked but too many people around! Anyway would like to say thanks for all the advice, at least I know now I'm not the only one who doesn't have one! Lol

If they're only fitted to oil burners then it's probably to combat drive-by noise. It's one of the many homologation tests and diesels tend to make more noise than petrols at part-load.

Back