Sump replacement

Hi. The wife's micra has a leaking sump, looks badly corroded so iv ordered a new one. Not really done much on the car so have a few questions.

Looking at the Haynes manual it says you've got to drop the front of the exhuast and remove the center member. The exhaust iv got no problem with but the center member looks more involved. Do you have to remove the centre beam as had my head under there and it looks as if you could do it with out.
Second question is the Haynes book also states that the oil should be 15/40 mineral but was told by suppliers that the car needs 5/30 semi synthetic, who is right, I'm sure in the past its been 15/40 but he was adement he was correct.

The micra is a 2002 1.0L tempest, any help would be appreciated.

I replaced the sump on my wife's car last year, all I did was to undo the exhaust manifold from the head (leaving the downpipe still attached , use new gaskets) and the you can pull it forward and it drops down . The support bar has to be removed . With regards to oil I use Shell Engine Oil Helix HX7 10w40 semi. It's a 2001 car, same as yours really

Last edited:
I think you will find that you have to remove the centre member because the oil strainer sits really low in the sump and there isn't enough room to drop the sump down to clear it

Thanks guys, been working on it tonight, found out the center member had to come off. I wish I had thought of dropping exhuast from the manifold. dropped it from the joint on what I think is the cat and one of the bolts was badly corroded and snapped off and is refusing to move, so it's either get a new one or try and drill and re thread it.

i had that problem with my cat. both the bolts were so rusted they had completely seized onto the cat. give them a turn and SNAP. i drilled them out and fitted a nut and bolt arrangement instead.

Back