Tyres

R

Ray1

Hi all
wats the best tyres i can get for my k11 sr... i find handling is not very good, especially in the rain. i have never changed the tyres since i have owned the car since march this year. i have standard 4 spoke SR wheels. I have considered getting new alloy wheels but want to leave the car standard.
cheers people.

Id suggest a set of Toyo Proxies or Yokohama's! You'l also find lowering your car and sticking a strut brace across the engine bay will help a great deal

If you have the money lower it. Lowering will totally change the car, do it! Heres wot it will do (taken from my lowering thread):

After a 100miles of driving i am impressed with the Powercoil springs and the KYB shocks, they have improved the following

1. Looks!
2. Handling is amazing, totally stays flat round corners and when pushed
3. Accelaration, no jumping around when changing gear! Car feels more flat on the ground
4. Braking, less weight for the brakes to deal with i suppose
5. Safety, swaying or bodyroll totally gone feel glued to the ground

Before:
486902_57_full.jpg

After:
486902_60_full.jpg

Then get some nice 15" Nissan alloys

cheers Jay Y.... i hav exactly the same car n colour with tints.... the car does look a lot better lowered, is ther any downsides to this? e.g. any damage to car? and roughly how much would this cost including labour? cheers

lowering the car wont make a **** tyre grip the road better.
uniroyal's are a good idea. THey are known as the rain tyre, and i'm very impressed. IF you have standard rims, get a 185/60/13 tyre. Yoko's are no good in the rain.

As for lowering, that can actualy make handling in the wet WORSE

I put a strut brace in my K10 and it's made a hell of a lot of difference to the handling! If your keeping your car close to standard, a strut might be ideal as it's a one off (or two off if you have one in the boot too)! And it's easy to do it yourself (took me five mins!) just undoing and refiting a couple of nuts and hey presto!
It's also quite cheap to do!!! Ask around on the site or check out Ebay saw one go for about £6 a month or so ago but you could easily get one and change for £30!
Obviously if your tyres are bald or your shocks are toasted they will need changing but if there ok would def go for a Strut!

Might be easier and a cheaper alternative to lowering and pro tyres!

Dave

Back