Turbo advice

CMF_micragirl

» CMF Member
Just wondering if someone could help me out with some advice please? My son purchased a TD04L turbo kit on ebay about 12 months ago which we are now re-selling as he decided not to install it. Here's the link so you know what I am talking about...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI...70007171434&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MESE:IT&rd=1

Someone has asked me about getting forged pistons? Would that depend on the condition of his motor, or is it a given that he would need them. I have no clue, my sons performance guy said that the turbo would "bolt on" and since his motor had just been re-conditioned it wouldn't be a problem. Sons car is an auto and he didn't feel like going to the bother of converting it to a manual, thus the reason for him selling it.

Really appreciate any advice on what you guys think, thanks in advance.

Micragirl

CMF_Snoopy

» CMF Member
It would depend on the boost the turbo is set to run at. Im currently setting up the same turbo on my car, aiming for around 8psi. I won't be running forged piston or touching the inside of the motor for that matter. The micra engine has proven safe for 8psi aslong as it was already healthy, after that its starting to push it (although reverb is running 10psi)

However having said that, if the person is worried about it blowing up then they should have the motor rebuilt to suit turbo application ($$$).

CMF_Brendon

» CMF Member
all engines have a power limit and usually when people do a turbo conversion usually they want as much power as they can thus the engines limits are exceeded and usually engines die coz a piston cracks or explodes or something. forged pistons allow you to run that high power and your pistons will not break but that just means something else might break but that probably wont happen.
as snoopy said get the engine rebuilt to suit turbo application

cisco

» CMF Member
You could certainly run ANY turbo on an engine without getting forgies, but only as long as you were running very low boost.

You might get away with moderate boost all depending on so many factors (mixtures, engine, size and strength of engine, boost levels, ambient temperature, how its driven, hmm what else.., quality of fuel..) etc.

But yes if you want to get serious, building an engine for a turbo application is a wise idea and might be necessary depending on what the goals and boost levels are.

But the guy may be thinking of putting this on either an existing ex-factory turbo engine, i.e. something that was already made for being turbo'd.. Or he might be putting it on a 20L V8 in which case its probably going to be fine also.. So really all depends on the engine, application and goals etc.

CMF_micra-man

» CMF Member
Micragirl, I know we all want to be helpful to others in the eBay community but... just tell him you are not a mechanic and he should speak to his mechanic about the suitability of this kit for his desired application.

Back