Trouble fitting new backbox!

ElectroDan

Ex. Club Member
Well nothing ever goes to plan with cars does it?!

I needed a near rear silencer section, as I did have an MOT booked for today and my one had a large crack in it.

I phoned Nissan at the weekend, and they've stopped selling them. The local garage wanted £71 fitted, but EuroCarParts do them for £29. Bargain I thought, I'll save myself £40 fitting it myself, and gives me a chance to try my ramps out.

Getting it off last night was a pig. I didn't buy new rubbers, and the hangers were seriously rusty. Eventually I did though, and put the new backbox on the rubbers. I then went to get the bolts out of the old pipe so I could attached the backbox to the centre pipe, and this was were the fun continued! They were so badly rusted together than even a lot of 3-in-1 and a hammer couldn't budge them.

So, I couldn't connect the pipes, it was 8pm so nowhere open and I didn't have any spare nuts and bolts big enough :(

I picked some up at lunchtime though and rebooked the MOT, so fingers crossed I'll get it finished tonight!

Anyone else had this much fun replacing their backbox?

no..........did you not have any wd40 .....and did you smear the new nuts and bolts with copper grease....

Oops no I haven't put copper grease on the new ones. That's purely to help get them undone next time isn't it?

I almost got it finished last night. There is a small gasket ring I got with the exhaust, which I sandwiched between the pipes. I then did them up as much as I could due to lack of room, but the 2 flanges aren't tight together and it's blowing a little.

I'll probably take it into a garage and ask them to finish it :down:

Back