Trimming Wheel Arches

• Thread starter richmooreuk1988
  • Start date
R

richmooreuk1988

Currently got a standard micra but am planning on putting some wheels on. Not looking at anything expensive but i found these http://www.micrasport.com/product.asp?strParents=&CAT_ID=86&P_ID=212 getting the 15's. Now what does the 6.0 and the 6.5 mean? Thats my first question, secondly im thinking of getting these http://www.micrasport.com/product.asp?strParents=&CAT_ID=86&P_ID=132 so that my car aint sitting high and looking like a tractor, now with these and the wheels will i need the arches trimming? need help lol thanks

15" alloys fit fine and even when you lower it they shouldnt rub. ive never experienced it anyway.

someone else will either clarify or correct me on this lol but... as for the 6.0 and 6.5 thats the offset of the alloy rim.

Im sure 6.5 is suited to the micra

Thread moved to K11 section

I believe 6.0 etc is related to the width of the alloy. The higher the number, the larger the width. Its usually in relation to the size of the wheel in general, you'l notice the trend on that website. 6.0 / 6.5 is for 15, 7.0 is for 16 etc and it goes up.

Thread moved to K11 section

I believe 6.0 etc is related to the width of the alloy. The higher the number, the larger the width. Its usually in relation to the size of the wheel in general, you'l notice the trend on that website. 6.0 / 6.5 is for 15, 7.0 is for 16 etc and it goes up.

Confirmed although the measurement stays the same regardless of wheel diametre its just they do actually get wider. The measurement is in j's (no i dont remember what it stands for) similar to inches.

oh and whilst people are replying to my thread (yay) can anyone direct me to somewhere wher i could purchase smoked lexus tail lights and possibly front? dunno if they do em

& is also useful as a guide to what tyres will fit your wheels.

You cant get new lexus lights anymore, crystal clear ones anyway. I tried 4 suppliers recently for Ems and they were all discontinued. Your best bet is Ebay, or an alternative style.

Crystal / black headlights can be imported from Taiwan i think. Do a search, a few people own them

Yes just have to consider the j's as inches (there close enough) and convert to milimetres. No they dont do lexus lights for the micra (thank god) you can buy some clear rear lights and tint them if you wish, think theres a link somewhere just search the forums.

kk thanks for your help so far, should be a full member with the stickers and everything by thurs wen i get paid n if im accepted n wot not. decided that im sick and tired of people putting down micras seen as they are nippy as ###### and can burn of most of the cars my mates have so thought why not make it into a lil beast, gettin backbox soon as but first i gotta sort out my panels seen as some fool attacked ma car so i need to get the panels sorted. anyway thanks for ya help so far

reminds me i really should upgrade!

Done and its only taken a year to get to silver lol, if only i had the funds to get silver in the first place!

Confirmed although the measurement stays the same regardless of wheel diametre its just they do actually get wider. The measurement is in j's (no i dont remember what it stands for) similar to inches.

they arn't measured in j's lol, they are measured in inches and the 'j' after it is the size of the rim flange. but i think all cars/wheels are j nowadays,

they arn't measured in j's lol, they are measured in inches and the 'j' after it is the size of the rim flange. but i think all cars/wheels are j nowadays,

Your probaly right except for the rim flange as all steels, alloys and even space savers have a "J". Im going to look on the internet and post back results.

Ok the "j" stands for the "Total rim width" which makes us both partly right, some text from this website: http://www.sportssix.info/wheeldata.php

""Total Rim Width:
This measurement is REAL width of the rim. It is measured from the outside edge to the inside edge of the rim. It will always be wider than the published common widths. For example, a Weller Steel listed at 5.5J has a Total Width of 156.5mm. This is because we have to take 'Rim Edge Width' into consideration (pics on site).""

"they arn't measured in j's lol," i dont appeciate the "lol"!!!

Your probaly right except for the rim flange as all steels, alloys and even space savers have a "J". Im going to look on the internet and post back results.

i got that from a 2 second search from here
http://www.dotz-wheels.com/487_EN.htm
i suppose it should say "total rim width, including rim flanges", like you said.

"they arn't measured in j's lol," i dont appeciate the "lol"!!!

i don't appreciate the "!!!", where's your sense of humour? lol
if i find something funny, i type "lol", like everyone else on here. pmsl

To clarify (or not) the 'j' thing I've copy and pasted this from this site I use all the time. http://www.chris-longhurst.com/carbibles/tyre_bible.html
I hope it helps to clear up any questions on rim and bead shape and construction.

J, JJ, K, JK, B, P and D : Tyre bead profiles / rim contour designations.
No, my keyboard letters weren't stuck down when I typed this. The letter that typically sits between the rim width and diameter figures stamped on the wheel, and indicates the physical shape of the wheel where the tyre bead meets it. In the cross-section you can see the area highlighted in red.

beadprofile.gif

Like so many topics, the answer as to which letter represents which profile is a long and complicated one. Common wisdom has it that the letter represents the shape. ie. "J" means the bead profile is the shape of the letter "J". Not so, although "J" is the most common profile identifier. 4x4 vehicles often have "JJ" wheels. Jaguar vehicles (especially older ones) have "K" profile wheels. Some of the very old VW Beetles had "P" and "B" profile wheels.
Anyway the reason it is an "awkward topic to find definitive data on" is very apparent if you've ever looked at Standards Manual of the European Tyre and Rim Technical Organisation. It is extremely hard to follow! There are pages and pages (64 in total) on wheel contours and bead profiles alone, including dimensions for every type of wheel you can think of (and many you can't) with at least a dozen tabled dimensions for each. Casually looking through the manual is enough to send you to sleep. Looking at it with some concentration is enough to make your brain run out of your ears. To try to boil it all down for you, it seems that they divide up the rim into different sections and have various codes to describe the geometry of each area. For example, the "J" code makes up the "Rim Contour" and specifies rim contour dimensions in a single category of rims called "Code 10 to 26 on 5deg. Drop-Centre Rims". To give you some idea of just how complex / anal this process is, I've recreated one such diagram with Photoshop below to try to put you off the scent.

etrto_diagram.gif

ive got 15s on ine and now ive lowered it it scrapes but it scraped when ive got people in with standard suspension mate whos is a sprayer told me to roll the arches or grind them and my mate is going to sort me some eyebrows but he has come with and idea or sparying them or get them tinted to my design thanks james sargent

im not got yokohama paradas only because i get them cheap can anyone offer any advice please cars in for bodywork at min so everythings been done at same time

eeeer what exactly did you want advice on your wheels? If not search the forums and if you cant find any threads that havnt already been discussed create a new one please.

ive got 15s on ine and now ive lowered it it scrapes but it scraped when ive got people in with standard suspension mate whos is a sprayer told me to roll the arches or grind them.

it sound like the offset of the wheels are wrong for the car, ideally it should be around 35 and then it shouldn't scrape at all!

Back