Hard to start when cold

CMF_thecalling

» CMF Member
Hi there

I have a Nissan March K11, 1999, 1L. a couple of weeks ago, it started to have this problem: when the engine is cold, it struggles to start, sometimes, I had to press the accelerator to make it start. once started, it runs fine, won't stall, can start easier/normal when it's warm.

I checked the Battery, it's ok, spark plugs ok, I changed fuel filter. Went to a garage, they tried a computer scan, but no result. I think it might be the Air Flow Meter or Sensor needs cleaning. before I do that, I'd like to hear what experienced people say.

Thank you in advance.

CMF_Greo

» CMF Member
try running an injector cleaner though the fuel system too. i would double check the battery too mine was having similar issues but i put a voltmeter on the battery and it read 12v but then i got a proper test done on it and the CCA had dropped heaps, after a new battery my car starts after a single crank of the starter even in the cold.

CMF_thecalling

» CMF Member
UPDATE: I cleaned the throttle body and the air flow meter today with CRC mass air flow sensor cleaner. the cold start seems fine now. hopefully can go on road with no problem. will keep you posted.

thank you for your responses.

CMF_thecalling

» CMF Member
Problem still remains.. I researched it on internet, found that it's highly possible the coolant temp sensor, but i found there are two sensors, one is to gauge, the other to ecu. which one should i replace? what are the symptoms for each of them being bad?

CMF_audioaudio

» CMF Member
thecalling WROTE:

"Hi there

I have a Nissan March K11, 1999, 1L. a couple of weeks ago, it started to have this problem: when the engine is cold, it struggles to start, sometimes, I had to press the accelerator to make it start. once started, it runs fine, won't stall, can start easier/normal when it's warm.

I checked the Battery, it's ok, spark plugs ok, I changed fuel filter. Went to a garage, they tried a computer scan, but no result. I think it might be the Air Flow Meter or Sensor needs cleaning. before I do that, I'd like to hear what experienced people say.

Thank you in advance.

Hi,

I have a Nissan Primera that had exactly the same problem, i.e. when cold it would not start; Went to a Nissan dealer and paid to have it put in the diagnostic, they could not find a problem. When I was there, someone getting spares overheard the problem and told me that it is most likely the distributer cap and / or ht leads were causing the problem, due to tracking.
I had noticed that since the car would start after it had warmed up, if I heated with a hair dryer around where the cap and leads were, it would start, so this seemed to make sense. Bought a new cap and HT leads and the problem was solved.

Worth a try.

CMF_thecalling

» CMF Member
audioaudio WROTE:

"

thecalling WROTE:

"Hi there

Thank you in advance."</div>

Hi,

I have a Nissan Primera that had exactly the same problem, i.e. when cold it would not start; Went to a Nissan dealer and paid to have it put in the diagnostic, they could not find a problem. When I was there, someone getting spares overheard the problem and told me that it is most likely the distributer cap and / or ht leads were causing the problem, due to tracking.

I had noticed that since the car would start after it had warmed up, if I heated with a hair dryer around where the cap and leads were, it would start, so this seemed to make sense. Bought a new cap and HT leads and the problem was solved.

Worth a try.

Hi Audioaudio

thanks for the advice. did you have to press the gas at cold start before you changed the Cap and leads? I have to do that on mine, I wonder how pressing the gas pedal is related to heating the cap and the ht leads?

Back