Tommorows project, EGR system removal

Speedle

Ex. Club Member
Hiya peoples

tomoz i will be removing the EGR or exhaust gas reciculation system from my super s.

i have got a new ECC carb for a bargain £15 and a standard k10 inlet manifold. so its a case of old inlet off block up the manifold egr holes and slap on the new inlet, all the ecc equipment will stay coil pack dizzy and so on as i feel this helps makes the car a lot more tunable

im hoping this will remove some of the restriction on the car and give it some more get up and go! although TBH its baltently faster than a ma10 as it is, i proved that overtaking paul in his micra up hill where the ma12 is king :p

fox1983 (paul) is gonna help me out so i will take lots of picturs and post a how to guide for anyone who wants to try it :)

Nice one mate. Took the EGR off my Supra the other day. It gets pretty hot so I could do without it really.

Fairly easy job to do... just make sure you block the holes off well, otherwise they have a habit of opening up at high revs.

Andrew said:
Fairly easy job to do... just make sure you block the holes off well, otherwise they have a habit of opening up at high revs.

Yes I concur. I got my EGR pipework cut off at the brackets then welded shut.

well its done, i blocked the holes up for the time being with bolts but will get my mate to weld them up. unfortunatly i threaded one of the threads on the bottom of the carb from over tightening it so had to use another one which was a bit of a state as a results the bloody thing keeps stalling when i brake so i suspect a vacuum leak somewhere too. performance wise its not really done a thing, although with the carb sorted it may be better. but as i found out there is no fuel mix screw on the ecc carb and now the egr has gone im concered the carb wont work properly as the ecu is not getting readings from the now reundant sensors.....

any thoughts?

i wondered if it would be better fitting a standard carb to it instead...

two questions speedle,

Why are you removing the EGR system?

what do you expect to gain from removing the EGR system?

im removeing the EGR system becuase the manifold it uses is even more restrictive than the standard one, and because it overcomplicates the vaccum, it has to some degree improved the cars performance.

Back